Truro Contest 2006

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Liz Courts, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

So......who’s going?! I know that there aren’t a lot of entries this year, and by the sound of it there are a few withdrawals too...

My mum spoke to Graham King (CBBA Secretary) a few weeks ago, asking (on the off chance) whether we’d be able to use a valve trombone at all...of course the answer was no, and following it was, in a slightly desperate tone, “this isn’t going to be too much of a problem for you is it? You’re not going to withdraw are you? We can’t have any more withdrawals!!”

I’m hoping this is just a bit of an over-reaction?!

Anyway, St Agnes WILL be there, and with a full trombone section too! Unfortunately I’m not allowed to play with them now that I’m registered with Lympstone :( , but I’ll be there offering my support! I went to observe a rehearsal last night (and ended up playing anyway), and it’s sounding pretty good, so good luck to them! :)
  2. SilverBrass

SilverBrass New Member

I most certainly hope to be there! Although I won't be playing with anyone as I have only just moved back down here. Maybe next year!

It's a shame that there is a lack of entrants this year. It has the potential to be a brilliant contest if it was supported enough, there's so much talent in the bands of Cornwall, I don't see why this isn't shown through its contest.

Good luck to all those taking part anyway!
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

When is it? I'm planning a few days in Cornwall sometime over the next couple of months, and it would be nice if they magically happened to coincide!
  4. Jamie

Jamie Member

Likewise... I might venture in that direction if I'm home...
  5. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

It's the 22nd of April. Starts at 10am with the Youth Section, and I think it ends with an Open Entertainment Section, like last year. :)
  6. Jamie

Jamie Member

Oh. Well, we wont be seeing that, then! I go home on the 19th. Good luck to everyone though!
  7. SilverBrass

SilverBrass New Member

Entertainment section? That's new isn't it?! Mind you, I haven't attended this contest for a while!

There doesn't seem to be a lot of tmp members attending then? I was hoping to meet a few of you in the bar!
  8. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

You up for a pub crawl afterwards?! ah the memories of truro contest day, arriving in truro at 9 in the morning for a rehearsal and still being there 16 hours later!

Seriously tho, i know there aren't many bands entering this year but are there any 2nd section or above that need a Euph or Bari? It wont be the same not playing for the contest, but now that im registered for a higher section band Pendennis can't borrow me for the day.
  9. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

They're around here somewhere...! I'm sure there will be a few there anyway - I will be!! :D

I see you're not playing with anyone at the moment...fancy joining St Agnes?!! They have 24 registered for Truro at the moment (plus percussion), so that's one space available, and they only have three on the front row! (They obviously haven't replaced me yet...!). You're a cornet player, go and pretend to be me! :D

And on a similar note, like Kelly, I am also bandless for the contest :(, so anyone in the 2nd section or above in desperate need of a backrow cornet, I'm available!! :D
  10. SilverBrass

SilverBrass New Member

Oh no!! My post disappeared! (And so did a few others I see...). Oh well, in case you missed out on my reply :-

That's the fourth offer I've had since I posted on Thursday! Unfortunately I haven't played for a while, but it's nice to know I have a choice when I'm ready! :) Thanks for yet another offer!!
  11. sugarandspice

Right, so at the mo we've only had confirmation of St Agnes and Pendennis entering.
    Is there still only nine bands enetering? Had a thoguht today, if that is the case then surely the whole thing is going to be over by about 2 o clock in the afternoon?! That means i'll be forced to spend all afternoon and evening in the pub?!! Ah well, needs must and all that!
  12. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Nope, I saw it! And I said: -

Fair enough. Nobody could replace me anyway. :tongue: :biggrin:

I can confirm that St Stythians Band are entering the entertainment section!! :biggrin: And also that Lostwithiel will be there again too.

And I'm pretty sure (heard through rumour only) that Launceston and St Breward are going!! :)
  13. SilverBrass

SilverBrass New Member

Well, good luck to everyone that's playing tomorrow then! I'll be there listening! :)
  14. kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer Member

How did it all go. sad i wasnt there havent missed a truro in my 9 years of banding
    Lets us know the results ASAP
  15. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I apologise that I don't have any of the points and can't remember who won all the soloist awards, but here are the results from what I can remember:

Youth Section:

1. St Dennis
    2. Mount Charles
    3. St Austell

4th Section:

1. Constantine
    2. Lostwithiel
    3. Pendeen

3rd Section:

1. St Breward
    2. Pendennis

2nd Section:

1. Launceston

Open Entertainment:

1. St Dennis
    2. Heyl
    3. St Breward

St Agnes went with the best band they've had since 1998/99, but still managed to come joint last in the 4th section with Redruth!!

The whole band is gutted, the conductor is "as sick as a pig," and I think they deserved a placing at least! But I'm not a professional, so ignore me, and I definitely agree that Constantine deserved a win.

St Agnes should be pleased though - there were no negative comments at all in the remarks, except for "the snare was too dominant at times"...that would be my fault, I told my mum to play louder! :rolleyes:

Congratulations to all the bands that took part! It was a fun day yet again!
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  16. ChrisL

ChrisL New Member

Yes, Have to agree that Constantine were best in 4th section, but St. Agnes I felt were unlucky not to be in the prizes. Could it be because they did not play a traditional test piece?
    I listened all day and despite the low number of bands, it was still a good day. That was right up until the adjudicators comments.Truro contest is at a bit of a low point at the moment(bankrupcy looms!) and the idea of the entertainment contest was to allow bands to compete at what the lower sections spend their summers doing- entertaining the crowds. St. Dennis were undoubtably the best band there by a mile, we all knew that, But were they the most entertaining? As the adjudicator said( or words to this effect) you can keep your funny hats and silly gimmicks, all that matters is the music! If this is true, there is no point in most of the lower sections entering when they could have visited the bar or at least not have had to feed the parking meters all day. This part of the competition was to get more bands to take part not put them off. Cornwall (the new Yorkshire!) has the best part of 50 bands, but I bet less than 10 could have gone to that contest with a full band with out borrowing. Many bands on saturday were one or two short, Lostwithiel looked 4 short if I remember correctly. We need to do all we can to enable bands to take part even if they have never competed or only have 3/4 of a band or not even registered players. This part of the competition should be judged by a panel of two non banders who would have to be entertained!Time for some real "out of the box thinking".
    However I can only echo the CBBA line of it being a great effort by all attending bands, I even thought it well worth the £6.50 entry fee, as did a large number of non banding pensioners I was sitting near who said it was great value for a day out. Perhaps we need to promote the contest to new audience markets. Wonder what the chapel will be like next year, def no bar!
  17. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Despite the lack of entries at the contest, it was a great day. Maybe a few more bands will enter the contest next year
  18. SilverBrass

SilverBrass New Member

Indeed, it was a fantastic day! I had St Agnes as a close 2nd to Constantine - the other bands were just competing amongst themselves in my opinion (and in the opinions of a few members of St Dennis I happened to be sitting next to )!

And I have to say that there's more to an entertainment section - especially an OPEN entertainment section - than the quality of playing. More needs to be considered within the criteria if we want to attract more lower section bands into this section. They at least need to know thatthey have a slight chance against the likes of Camborne and Mount Charles!

It was a fantastic day, well worth my money, let's hope there are more entries next year!
  19. sugarandspice

Where are on Earth did 4barsrest get Charles Fleming as the Conductor for mount charles?!! I think i would have noticed if my conductor was stood in front of a different band, well at least i hope i would?!!
    Provided some entertainment at band last night tho!!

And does anyone have any comments on the obvious mistake of the anouncer person naming all the bands when re-capping the youth section. what a *silly billy*!!