Trumpets for beginners

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eftpotrm, Aug 30, 2006.

1. eftpotrm

eftpotrm New Member

Hi all

Wondered if anyone here could possibly help me?

I've played the trumpet for years, and played with marching bands (apologies forbeing an interloper therefore!) in my teens. I've since moved to a different area, and through Boys & Girls Brigades have been tasked with sorting out some trumpets to re-equip our marching band.

Problem is, it's been so long since I've played with any ensembles that I've no idea what constitutes good, bad and indifferent within the low-end trumpet range... There's no point in giving a bunch of rank novices anything better IMHO, but I do want something where the lacquer won't come off in your hands and the valves seize, while it proves largely unplayable.

Research has so far turned up, at or there abouts my budget:
    * Elkhart TR250 MK2
    * Besson BE1010
    * Odyssey OTR133
    * Vincent Bach Prelude
    * Earlham ETR 410
    * Trevor James Artemis

I'm not particularly fussy, though - I just want a yellow finish and Bb!

Thanks in advance,

2. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

You could also try the following

Yamaha 1335 (or preferably the 2335 if you can stretch your budget a little more)
    Jupiter JT 300L

Another one to try is a trumpet made for the Dawsons music store chain. It is their bottom of the line Mirage trumpet (i think it was the TR150 but I could be wrong). I reviewed it along with its more slightly more expensive brother and the Mirage flugel at the request of Peter Pollard at Dawson's Manchester, and I must admit that the cheapest one (I think it was £150) was the one I enjoyed playing most. This was probably because its design was based on a Bach Stradivarius (which is my usual trumpet) whereas its more expensive sibling (£400) was based on a Yamaha which I've never really got on with. Definately worth a look if you can find a Dawson's near you.
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Of the ones you mention,, I would say the Besson is a good suggestion (if you can get them). They were some of the finest student instruments I had played when they were being made.

As for others, I would recommend taking Adrian's suggestion of Yamaha or Jupiter - the Yamaha student trumpets are simply superb (the student cornets are stunningly good too - I know a number of professional trumpet players who use the student cornet) and are built to survive student treatment.
  4. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

The Holton T602 is a brilliant student model trumpet.
  5. bandrh

bandrh Member

Hi Greg
    I am involved with both brass and marching bands and can advise you to take a look at the TYMBA (traditional marching band) and BYBA (British youth band) sites where you can ask for help, some bands may have second hand ones.
    There is also a very good shop called Grevillehodgson in Birmingham who deals with marching bands and offers discount.
    At the moment there seem to be a lot of trumpets manufactures around but yamaha are quite good.
    I hope the above helps and contact me if you want any more info about youth marching bands.
    Harrow Church Lads & Church Girls Brigade