Trumpets and re lacquering

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by satchmo shaz, Oct 20, 2006.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Hi I am looking to buy a new trumpet, a stomvi Elite or Stomvi master and to help fund this project I am selling my Bach Strad 37 and my Olds Studio,
    problem is my Olds is PINK at the moment and was like it when I bought it.
    So would it be worth stripping down and re laquering and if so what costs would be involved and who can do it. The Strad is ok thank goodness!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    PINK
    Stomvi
    Elite
    Olds
    Bach Strad 37
  3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

It depends, there is a market for "vintage" trumpets such as your Olds on Ebay. If you get it fully restored by experts such as First Class Brass in Dunstable, you may get much more for it.
    I do know that Olds Recordings fetch a decent price.
    First Class brass are the makers of the Eclipse line of instruments (check out 4Br for a review of their flugel, which is an exceptional instrument). I've had instruments serviced and renovated by them. First class job, First class service.. ;)

http://www.firstclassbrassltd.co.uk

4. Bones

Bones Member

I know I'll see you later but have alook at this site http://www.mcqueens.com

I've seen some of the work they do and it looks pretty good. Ask me later for a number of a guy in Loughboro who deals in old OLDS trumpets. He could give you a guide proce, and you could make a call then. They seem to be quite popular at the moment.

As for your choice of flumpet. I know a few people who have had the Stomvi Master and they are quite heavy. I believe Don Owen plays on the Mambo model Worth having a chat with Kev Dye who had one before he bought his Eclipse. So you could get some feedback on both of those.

Schilke's, phil could give the background on those.

Don't discount your Olds when you have had it done up, you may be surprised.

5. GJacko

GJacko Member

Shaz......stop right there. Got to get an Eclipse. All the London session players have them and they're hand built to your own requirements, finish, lead pipe, bell (in three metals). Mine is GREAAATTTT. Best instrument ever. Come round & have a go on mine.

Anyway, Leigh at First Class Brass, will be happy to supply you, and would also repair / re-laquer anything you might want doing as well.

6. BrianT

BrianT Member

I suggest keeping the Strad. You might sell it, pay hundreds extra for a different model and still end up with an instrument that's no better - just different. I've had mine 25 years and I've yet to play a better trumpet. Or spend the money getting it properly serviced. I had mine done recently - like having a brand new instrument all over again (but much cheaper!)

7. satchmo shaz

must come round and have a bash on it!!
    hope you are all well and hope to see you at our centenary at the weekend!:clap:

8. satchmo shaz

might be a good idea to get em both done up and then see what they are like ;)

9. bennem

bennem Member

Do you know that there is a gold plated Stomvi Master second had at Trevor Jones in Bristol for £1495 http://www.trevorjonesltd.co.uk/usedbrass.htm

I took a look at it, didn't play it as I was only interested in seeing a gold plated instrument, and it was in great condition. If I remember correctly it has a second bell with it also.

10. Hi Shaz,

I do laquer stripping, dent removal, polishing and silver or gold plating back to as-new condition.

I'm based in West Yorkshire, and prices start from around £175, depending on what's requred.

Drop me a PM if I can help, and I'll be pleased to put you in touch with people who've I've done work for in the past.

Cheers,
    Owen