Trumpet question

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Tuba2005, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Tuba2005

Tuba2005 New Member

Hello everyone. I've been looking around for a good place to ask this, and this seems to be the best place :) I've been a tuba/baritone player for about 6-7 years, and since I may not get a chance to play in one of my college's bands next year (I was thinking of taking music performance, but the career outlook for tubas isn't that great) I was thinking of learning the trumpet to at least keep music as a hobby. I'm not looking to make a huge investment, or I would've already bought a tuba. :biggrin: So, to my question. For someone like me with a lot of experience in music (including theory, so I know treble clef), is there a brand/style/etc. of trumpet that anyone would recommend? I'm pretty adaptable, so I don't think I'd need a strictly beginner trumpet. Also, any other advice (mouthpieces, etc) would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Let me get this right, you are hoping to perform more by changing from tuba to trumpet?
    Where are you at college??
    This is the first time I have ever heard of a change this way round. You could be at the only venue ever to have an imbalance that way round.
    I have known a few trumpeters take up tuba in order to get more playing, but never the other way round, oh well, I suppose there is always a first time for everything.

Anyway, back to the task in hand, a trumpet that may suit your needs. My basic advice for people who don't already lay is to set your budget and then find the Yamaha that fits it. The build quality is top-notch and the reliability is second to none.
    If you are looking to try a few brands, it would depend heavily upon your budget. The Bach Stradivarius trumpet is a good professional level instrument, but you might not be wanting to spend that much money.
    As for mouthpieces, it will be a personal choice. Due to you being used to much larger mouthpieces I would suggest starting with one of the larger trumpet mouthpiece sizes (Bach 1 1/2C for example). This may well aid your transition to the smaller instruments. If you find that it is too big, once you are plying on a trumpet regularly, you can always buy a smaller one.

If you let us know your budget you may find that we are able to offer more useful instrument advice.

3. Tuba2005

Tuba2005 New Member

Well, I guess I mis-worded what I wanted to say. I'll be heading into college next year, and all I want is an instrument that I can pick up and play. I don't really want to spend the money needed for a tuba, and I'd like to gain experience in other instruments, you know? I understand trumpets can be expensive as well, but I'm just looking for an intermediate trumpet just for a hobby. It's hard to explain. I just want to play something small, just to keep my interest in music. I really don't want to purchase a tuba, because I feel I'd be doing it an injustice by not playing the heck out of it :p