Trumpet Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by backrowboy, May 1, 2010.

1. backrowboy

backrowboy Member

I have recently bought a trumpet and am finding it difficult to find a mouthpiece that suits me I have played cornet for many years on a Dennis WIck 4b.Can anyone tell me what is the closest trumpet mouthpiece to this I have been trying a Vincent Bach 3c which is not bad but sometimes feels hard to get notes out should I persist with it or try something different I have been told this mouthpiece should suit me.
  2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

The Bach 3c is wider than you're used to, why not try a Wick 4b trumpet mouthpiece (to save money buy a cornet adaptor and use your cornet mouthpiece, at least that way you'll know if it's the mouthpiece or the instrument)? You might want to try a 4c to give you a brighter sound than on the cornet but retaining the same feel on the lips.
    What works for one person won't necessarily work for another and indeed what suits one instrument doesn't always suit another.... There is no magic answer - if there was 99% of mouthpieces wouldn't be made.
  3. John_D

John_D Member

I always used a Denis Wick 4 on trumpet when I did some big band work. I was using a Denis Wick 4/4B on cornet at the time.
  4. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Many moons ago I used to use a Bach7c on my trumpet and a wick 4b on my cornet without any problems in swapping between the two.
    Good luck with your mouthpiece quest!
  5. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I don't think I know any serious trumpet players that use a DW mouthpiece. Most use Bach/Warburton etc. Size is, as usual, a personal hing. There is no correct answer. Personaly, I use a VB 1.5c for everything, including cornet.
  6. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

There's always a first time but I've never heard a cornet sound enough like a cornet with a Bach mouthpiece stuck in the end...could be to do with approach I you sound like a cornet player on the cornet or is that not your aim?
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
  7. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I have a yamaha 7c for my trumpet and a dw 4b for my cornet and can switch quite happily from trumpet to cornet.
  8. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

You don't really want a mouthpiece that is the same because both instruments have differing requirements tonally. I use a DW4b on brass band cornet, a 2fl on flugel, 2 on tenor horn, but wouldn't use a wick on trumpet. The deep conical shape of wick cornet mouthpieces mean using the same will likely give you a darker almost wooly sound on trumpet. Like Bryan says most trumpeters use Bach or Schilke mouthpieces as these are more cup-shaped and suited to the brighter sound of the trumpet. I was recommended to start on trumpet (after 8 years on cornet) on a bach 1 1/4c or 1 1/2c and still use the 1 1/4 on b-flat ....... years later. I use a schilke 15c on d/e-flat.

But if in doubt try lots, buy lots on ebay then sell the ones you don't like again. :D

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

The MM series are becoming quite popular (Maurice Murphy - pretty serious player;)), with good reason, in my opinion.

Byron Wallen (awesome jazz player) plays on a Wick too (along with his gorgeous custom Eclipse trumpet)

10. John_D

John_D Member

The Denis Wick trumpet mouthpieces are proper trumpet mouthpieces with shallow bowl shaped cups, not cornet mouthpieces on a trumpet shank. The Wick 5X is a real shallow 'screamer' of a mouthpiece.

My advice would be to ignore what is stamped on the side and just try them, you may well be very surprised.
  11. backrowboy

backrowboy Member

Thanks to everyone thats replied I think that I will stick with the VB 3c for now and see how it goes, if its no good I may try some of the other suggestions that you have all come up with.
  12. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

Following from all this. I am looking for a trumpet Mouthpiece that should be good for stamina. I'm think I may be filling in for a Symphonic Wind ensemble in a few weeks and need to find something that will get me through a day of rehearsals and the gig in the evening.
  13. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Sadly there isn't a mouthpiece which will solve this problem on its own (at least not in my humble opinion) - if there was we'd all buy one.
    Use a mouthpiece which you're comfortable with and pace yourself carefully - don't overblow or work too hard at the rehearsals and remember to save yourself for the evening.
  14. TrumpetNick

TrumpetNick Member

I thought I should chime in...I have found (as some other players) that V shaped or similar cups suit me better on both trumpet and cornet. At least for classical/orchestral playing. Myself I use Breslmair (austrian maker based near Vienna) while other find Stork suitable for their needs. There is plenty of makers who offer V cups on trumpet mouthpiece on all kind of shapes, volumes etc...I suggest to the OP to try that road. BTW, I am using a Breslmair throad and cup with a screw-on copy of the DW MM 1.5C rim.