Trumpet Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Courtenay! :), Sep 28, 2008.

1. Courtenay! :)

Courtenay! :) New Member

Welllll, I'm originally a cornet player and have only been playing trumpet for about 4 years. I'm about grade 8 standard on both. On cornet I use a Vincent Bach Corp. 6 mouthpiece and on trumpet I use a Yamaha 7C.

I play trumpet for the Durham County Youth Big Band and have recently been promoted to 1st trumpet, so I need to be able to belt out some screaming high notes and at the moment the 7C isn't helping. So I was wondering if the "hype" behind the Kelly Screamer Mouthpieces is justified? Has anyone got one or tried one? Are they any good?
    Or would anyone recommend a completely different mouthpiece to try?

Any help would be much appreiciated =)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Vincent Bach Corp. 6
    Trumpet Mouthpieces Welllll
    Durham County Youth Big Band
    Yamaha
    moment
  3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

STOP...Do not think a mouthpiece will help you play High/ lead..........

Go see a Pro Trumpet Player you respect/admire who will guide you in

When to practice

What to practice and

How to practice

Trumpet Mike it's over to you.........

PS Arturo Sandoval plays a Bach 3C

4. Courtenay! :)

Oh yeah, I'm under no illusion that a mouthpiece will instantly make me play better.
    I am able to play high, just not for long periods of time so I'm looking for a mouthpiece which is easier going on the lip while playing in a high register.
    =)

5. sop 1

sop 1 Member

im not a trunpet player,but have u tried warburton mouthpieces? u can have the same rim but with different cups on them! only downside is that they are quite expensive!
    But as Vegasbound said a mouthpiece is not always the answer.(i play on a 6D top which is quite big and a 12* backbore which is the biggest u can get!) :tup

6. Sopman

Sopman Member

I play both Sop and trumpet and use a Warburton mouthpiece. I was finding my lip got tired quicker swapping between two different mouthpieces so I thought I would give them a try. I use a 5M cup with a 12* backbore on Sop and a 9 backbore on trumpet. I'm not sure I have the set up just right for me yet, but it is working ok for the moment. As mentioned in a previous post, they are quite expensive but for me it seems to work. I also bought one for my son when he started playing trumpet and cornet at school. I rang Bruce at Warburtons to get some advice and he was very helpful.

7. sop 1

sop 1 Member

have u tried using the same backbore on trumpet? also check ebay as there is sometimes warburtons on there at a fraction of the price! :D

8. Courtenay! :)

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to go look on ebay now =D

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

This is basically true.
    I have basically the same range (which goes up to double C on a regular basis) on all of my mouthpieces (which range from a Warburton 1D and a Wick 1X down to a Jet-Tone Studio A - which is basically a flat mouthpiece with a tiny indentation of a cup on it). The extreme small mouthpieces MIGHT give me an extra semitone, but it isn't worth the lack of tone, flexibility or lack of accessible notes on the stave (and I can forget about those below it).

This is a much better solution than a mouthpiece change. If you are having lessons already, ask your teacher how you might extend your range. I would guess that they will give you the advice that it isn't something that will magically go up overnight if you change you equipment - this is advice that I strongly subscribe to. The best way to build up your range is to use some kind of systematic practice regime, that will gradually increase your usable range, without the possibility of ruining the good foundations you have hopefully already achieved.

There are many problems that can occur when using smaller mouthpieces, which is why the majority of people I know (who do this kind of playing) don't play on the extreme side of the equipment. For most of the players I know and work with, a 7C would be considered fine, if not a bit small for most.
    I know that if I was to play on a 7C I would find myself having problems (because my preferred nouthpiece size is quite a bit larger than that), but I have had students play on those without any problems.

I have tried the Kelly Screamer and will be very honest - for the money it was an interesting mouthpiece. I found it quite a bit too small, but for £10 what the heck (sorry, have since got rid of it). I didn't find it any better than the screamer mouthpieces I have already got (none of which I actually use), but it retails for a lot less money.
    Certainly try one and see if it works for you - it will hardly break the bank.

:biggrin: Sorry it took a while to get here

And John Faddis has recorded a great deal of outrageous high stuff on a Bach 1 - basically a bucket;)

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Guy Clark, former soprano cornet with the Chicago Brass Band, makes one of the best sop sounds I've ever heard - on a bored-out Bach 1. On Bb trumpet, he told me, he uses a bored-out flugel mouthpiece - I would like to hear that.

I do wonder if trumpet (and cornet, and indeed, both Eb and F horn) mouthpieces are systematically smaller than optimum.
    i) You hear plenty of trumpeters who can play much higher than there is any need to or musical excuse for...
    ii) You hear very few (I might even venture to say none) who sound good in the low register.
    iii) My alto trombone mouthpiece is vastly bigger than any horn mouthpiece. The full range is perfectly accessible on it. This is symptomatic of the disconnect in the brass mouthpiece size spectrum that lies between alto and tenor size instruments.

At the very least, it seems to me that there is market room for a range of mouthpieces that go well beyond the current rim size limit of 17-18 mm - up to beyond 20 mm.

11. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Yea i agree with that!
    When i started playing on the Warburton mouthpieces i started on a 6sv top and an 8* backbore ( i tried the warburtons cos i was splitting my lip all the time on my previous mouthpiece,have tried a few different makes but always go back to the warburtons!)
    but started to realise that my sound on the lower register was not too good,so gradually iv worked myself up to the current combination i play on (6D 12*) which is quite deep but gives me far more control on the lower dynamics and a better sound all round,but its not just down to the m/p it requires a lot of hard work too! :eek:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Vincent Bach Corp. 6
    Trumpet Mouthpieces Welllll
    Durham County Youth Big Band
    Yamaha
    moment
  13. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

I've played on warburtons and know loads of people who swear by them, I personally play on a schilke and find that I can get the same kind of range with most mouthpieces.

Mouthpieces only give so much help, it's basically a platform for you to feel comfortable on. The real power, range and pretty much everyother aspect of playing comes from your breathing. If you can begin to breathe and use your diaphragm properly and by practicing properly you'll soon be playing in the stratosphere.

A book that I use is the Charles Colin book of advanced lip flexibilites. Do these studies correctly and take you time on them and I guarantee you'll increase your range.

14. GJacko

GJacko Member

I was lucky enough that Noel Langley was in the workshop when I picked up my Eclipse Trumpet. He demonstrated his collection of mouthpieces, showing me about 20 he carries round with him. But the emphasis was on sound, not on range. That just has to come with practice! Obvious I suppose, but he sured up some questions about embouchure and mouthpiece position. Take a look at the Artiste section on the Eclipse web site and check out the pictures of professionals playing trumpet.

BTW, he sounded awesome on my trumpet. Better than me! Lol.

15. sop 1

sop 1 Member

absolutely everyone is different,i was playing on a schilke m/p but was splitting my lip on the rim! but having been on the warburton's for about 7 years now,i havent split it once.and the chas colin's helps loads! :biggrin:

16. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

17. Courtenay! :)

Wow :D
    Thanks for all of your advice everyone!
    =)

18. RussQ

RussQ Member

I've played on quite a few trumpet mouthpieces over the years including Schilke,Bach etc.
    Try and get hold of a Marcinkiewicz on trial. I highly rate these for comfort and sound. You can find them at www.marcinkiewicz.com
    Good luck

19. skweeky

skweeky Member

Another late interjection! I can't fully agree that a different mouthpiece cant help you play lead. The shape and resistance of a moutpiece and backbore change the sound vastly. I play a warburton 4MD with a 12* backbore for the all round classic stuff but have recently found that a smaller backbore (6 - 8) gives me nice resistance to help support lead work.

I don't think the mouthpiece makes you play higher, but changes the sound. It all depends on what sound you like i suppose.

20. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

No one would I think disagree with the fact that a mouthpiece can change/shape your sound....BUT the original poster stated that he struggled with endurance playing lead.....if he changes mouthpiece he will still have the same problem.

He needs to build lead chops....and as I advised earlier it's not a thing that can be fixed over night.

Find an experienced Pro lead player and learn WHAT, WHEN and HOW to practice.