Trumpet Mouthpiece Q?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Griffin, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Just wondering if there is a way of getting a Trumpet mouthpiece to fit a Shilke Soprano??

Is there a company that does it? Or an adaptor? Any Ideas? :confused:

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Why not just by a version of the mouthpiece with a cornet shank?
  3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

^^ Got there first!!!

That's exactly what I do, I use a VB1c or 1.5c and I've got Cornet and Trumpet versions of works for me.
  4. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Already bought the Trumpet shank!

Just wondering if I can get it cut down or something?
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Funny thing is, the Schilke Bb/A piccolo trumpet only takes a cornet mouthpiece! (At least it did, don't know whether that's still the case)
  6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I would say no as the diamater of the reciever is larger for a trumpet than a cornet, so the backbore of the trumpet mouthpiece will be larger as a result.

Even if it could be done successfully (without having negative effects on how the instrument plays, tuning, slotting etc), it would be cheaper by a cornet shank version of the mouthpiece anyway.
  7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Stupid question 1 - why did you buy a trumpet mouthpiece?
    Stupid question 2 - what instrument do you play?
    Stupid question 3 - did you notice that it is a soprano CORNET, not a soprano trumpet?
    Stupid question 4 - can you tell the difference?
    Stupid question 5 - have you contacted the shop and asked them whether they will do a straight swap?

If you cut down a trumpet mouthpiece you will end up with a chopped up mouthpiece that won't work as well as a mouthpiece designed for the specific task.
    If you really want to get it adapted, I would suggest contact Kanstul - they are fantastic at all things to do with customising mouthpieces - but it will cost you as much (if not more) than buying a cornet model.

Apparently they use the same tuning slide as the soprano cornet, so it's not really a great surprise.
  8. Incognito

Incognito Member

I actually did get a 1CW denis wick converted to cornet a long time ago.

It was cut tot he correct length so the exit of the backbore was the correct diameter and then it was turned down to the correct mores taper and then plated.
    It actually did work very well for the purpose it was being used for, but its much simpler and cheaper just to buy the cornet equivalent if youcna get one.
  9. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

hi. I play Shilkie with shilkie mouthpiece, but i do have a Trumpet mouthpiece that works, all i can say is it a JK 1 and half C, although i really only use it as spare, if mine gets damaged, will show you when next we meet. poss pontins, but am at leamington before that.
  10. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

My mates an engineer, (well Tool maker) just wondering if it was feasable to narrow the shank down... but it seems like too much hassle!

I'll stick with the VB ive got.
  11. Incognito

Incognito Member

Yes it is.
    See my previous post.
    Depending on the exit size of the backbore at the point where it needs to be cut.
    It is a tricky job and expensive to get done properly as the taper also needs to be correct.
  12. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Cheers for the advice... seems like too much hassle, suppose i'll have spend some pennies!
    I've ordered a new mouthpiece from America which works out about £20 cheaper than buying one over here! (thats if I don't get charged at Customs!)