Trumpet help needed!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by flashbarry, Oct 20, 2005.

1. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

I am writing this post for a friend who has started teaching a student here in Oman and the pupil is struggling with his higher register, he is currently playing on a yamaha trumpet and is using a 7c yamaha mouthpiece.

Can anyone give me any advice on what the best mouthpiece is?

Hope you can help me!!

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

There is no "right mouthpiece" for everybody. There may well be the right mouthpiece for that student, but without having the chance to see the student, hear how they play, identify their potential problem areas in person, it is almost impossible to do.

There are millions of mouthpieces out there and many players (even top pro players) are still looking for that "perfect" mouthpiece. Much of the time it is a matter of buckling down and doing the work, rather than trying to find equipment to make life easier.

We are all different, the mouthpiece safari might be a long one, but should you ever find the right mouthpiece - it is a great feeling.

Personally, if a student is struggling for range on a 7C I would suggest that they need to practice more on their range. A smaller mouthpiece may, possibly, help - BUT it will probably mean sacrificing tone and flexibility. It is NOT worth it.
  3. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

I agree with trumpetmike.....hard work and perseverance is the key. I started playing trumpet in big bands when I retired. I was using a DW2F on flugel and the trumpet came with a Bach 7 mpc. I was advised to use a Bach 1 1/4C ...after some practice it all came together. Nowadays I use a Yamaha 16C4GP on trumpet DW2F on flugel and DW2 on cornet. No problems switching from one to the other......however I am not a professional player.