Trumpet & Flugel Flight case recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andywooler, Jul 30, 2009.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Rather than trawl through the many pages of ebay and google searches, i'm sure someone here has already done this!

I am in need of a flight case or sturdy enough case to house 1 trumpet & 1 flugel - must be able to go as cabin baggage. Not enough gigs on this trip to warrant a huuuge price tag.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Andy

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cheers Andy
    trip
    Flugel Flight case recommendations
    Trumpet
    huuuge price tag
  3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

The old reunion blues small triple was designed to be the size allowable as hand lugage, there are now plenty of copies of this design around.

4. 007ish

007ish Member

5. 007ish

007ish Member

6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I did find a Protec suitcase style that I got from Thomann.de but it didn't quite fit Trumpet and Bach flugel. Other flugels may fit, the Bach doesn't.

The case itself is withn the standard size for carry on luggage, had extenable handle & wheels etc.

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I have the other version of the Protec Tpt./Flg. combo (no wheels or extending handle); excellent case all round - plenty of room for the bigger sizes of Flug. but a bit too big for cabin baggage ...

Sorry, not really any help ...:oops:

8. stopher

stopher Member

The Flugel and trumpet case will take a beating but I can confirm it is huge and will probably not be allowed on a plane as hand luggage.

Try Brass Bags (http://www.brassbags.co.uk/) - have got one of the triple trumpet cases and they are ace. Think they do a flugel version

9. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I have one of these, the flugel version. It has room for a flugel (not my Courtois, but it fits my bach) and a cornet or trumpet plus some mutes. It used to be allowed on a plane, however I haven't travelled with it for a while - since the Courtois doesn't fit (bell is too big). The last time I used it to travel with was before security tightened up so much, so this info might be out of date.

10. qtuk

qtuk New Member

Flugel and trumpet flight case

Hi there I have just bought a new FUSION TRIPLE TRUMPET CASE i am really happy with it and it will fit into the overhead locker....go to fusion-bags.com you can view what it looks like. I put my trumpet, flugel and all manor of stuff in mine.
    cheers QTUK:D

11. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

The standard Bach Strad. flugel hard case has enough room for a trumpet. Also, it's the right size for hand luggage.

Remember, you can take a musical instrument on board AS WELL AS hand luggage, just so long as it fits in the overhead locker.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cheers Andy
    trip
    Flugel Flight case recommendations
    Trumpet
    huuuge price tag
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm aware of the existence of an agreement between the MU and some airline organisation to that effect, however many check-in desk staff aren't aware of it. Be prepared for an argument.

14. Bass Trumpet

I fly 20+ times a year with a trombone - it's possible to get a laminated card with the MU/Dept of transport agreement on it. The only airline I've ever had problems on is Jersey Air.

(and trombones are bigger than flugel horns!;))

15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Presumably only for MU members?

Around a year or so back I flew to Faro with Monarch along with a trombone-playing colleague, who turned up at the check-in desk with trombone, hold-all, and a copy of the MU/DoT agreement. Despite the document, the check-in absolutely refused to allow more than one piece of baggage in the cabin, forcing my friend to check-in his hold-all as hold baggage. I'm sure it varies from airline to airline, with the "budget" carriers likely to be more problematic. Presumably there may also be fewer problems now than when the agreement was new.

16. andywooler

I recall them sending me that card but don't expect the Monarch or Easyjet people at gatwick to understand it! I once had a fanfare trumpet as carryon - USAirways not only allowed it but the check in clerk knew what it was!

17. andywooler

I found the card - it states "some airlines do not allow musical instruments in the cabin of the aircraft under their own terms and conditions. Again you should check with your airline". So, guidelines, not a hard and fast rule.

18. Bass Trumpet

I digress slightly, but have a look on YouTube and search United Breaks Guitars.

Biggest laugh all day.(somebody clever might be able to put a link up for me)

Re. the magic MU card. All I am saying is that in 12+ years in the profession, I've only had problems once. Gareth and Andy, you may have a point in that all the flying I do is usually on scheduled flights (BA, Lufthansa etc.), so there might be more problems with the Budget carriers.

19. BestFlightCases

BestFlightCases New Member