Trombones

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sugarandspice, Apr 17, 2005.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Right, before we start i want to make it clear that the Euphonium is my first love, and nothing is ever going to change that!......but i started learning the trombone on thursday, and even if i do say so myself, im starting to get quite good! :)

At the mo im learning on an old band one, which isn't that great, and the slide doesnt really slide that well! But if all goes according to plan i would like to get my own.......will have to if i want to play at uni, which i intend to!

So i guess im just after some advice really, which is a good make of trom? is there any make i should steer clear of? how much do i need to spend to get a fairly decent one?........and whats a Bb/F trom all about?!!!

not sure if you have noticed but i know nothing about trombones!!......but i do know all the postions now....and i have played everything in the book i've got!!.....not bad for 2 days! (am alternating practice between trom and euph!) (and im learning bass clef at the same time cos i have no intention of playing my trom in a brass band!!.....want to play jazz and orchestral stuff)

would appreciate any help!

kelly xxx

2. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Also took up Trom fairly late on to complement (or not , depending on who was listening!) my euph playing.

I graduated from a pretty poor small bore pea shooter to a Yamaha ( can't remember the model) which I picked up for a very reasonable price from a music shop which mostly did electric guitars and drum kits (always worth sniffing about that sort of place cos they don't always know the value of what they are selling outside of their normal trade!!! Careful the gear isn't hot though.).That did me for the standard I was playing at at time , and when I got to uni and branched out from playing just in SA bands (as I was at the time ) it was also handy for jazz/big band and alto trom work in chamber orchestra.

For playing in symphony orchestra , I had the semi-permanent loan of a Conn single plug -ie a Bb/F trigger.Proper trombonists will be able to explain but basically opens up a whole range of pedal notes and acts just like your 4th valve on euph for bandpitch D etc.(again , model escapes me).The advantage of that was it took my euph mouthpiece , and being of a larger bore was a much more sonorous sound.

In terms of reccommending an instrument , I really am not an expert , but the review on 4br of the Besson 1000 student bone looked good at under £400 brand new.My advice is find a good trom teacher / player , keep your eyes peeled for anything that comes up second hand and then get some advice from them.

I'm sure a proper trombonist will be along soon to give you some help!!

3. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Bb/F - refers to concert pitch plug/trigger found on some trombones. Essentially the same as a fourth valve (i.e. same harmonics as 1 & 3), but obviously can be a bit more complicated!

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

If you're a euph player you should be able to handle a large bore "symphonic" sort of trombone. Personally I'd recommend a Conn 88H (or one of it's numerous variants) because I love them, and they're not ridiculously expensive. The Bb/F trigger is really there to make things easier. Getting from 1st to 6th or 7th quickly is a bit of a pain, so a trigger makes things easier (1st or 2nd instead). Have a look around local music shops for some decent 2nd hand trombones if you're a bit strapped for cash, just make sure the slide and trigger work smoothly. Good luck with it!

5. NAS

NAS Member

6. The_Fat_Ref

The_Fat_Ref New Member

I know, have just bought a Bb/F R4. Price £2440. But it is worth it as they are regarded as THE trombone manufacturers at the moment.

If you are just starting out, a Besson/Yamaha/King/Arbiter will probably suit you best.

At the end of the day, I suggest, go out to shops that sell em second hand. Play some! If they sound reasonable, and the slide and/or trigger are fine; you're onto a good thing.

I'm glad to finally see that all these bandspeople realise the power of the bone!!

:biggrin: :biggrin:

7. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

unfortuately i have absolutely no intention of playing the trombone in the brass banding world!! Bring on the Jazz!! :)

8. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I said that too, about 15 years ago! There's just something addictive about playing trombone. I did it as a way to learn bass clef so I could join the army on euph but quickly fell in love with it. I've not played a euph on stage for almost 10 years now although I do try and borrow one to play in the house occaisionally.

Best advice if you're planning to play jazz is go for small bore. It makes the screaming solos much easier. If you're only going to be playing jazz on it there's absolutely no need to go for a Bb/F. Just stick with a straight tenor.

9. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I disagree with the bore size. A professional trombonist once said he prefes the King for the opposite reason - LARGE bore. You can blow and blow and blow and it splits less. But that's one opinion.

However I do agree with the trigger. I teach a young female student trombone and she's darn good, especially up high. But because she's a former clarinettist she doesn't like lower registers, where a trigger is most likely to be used. I personally say don't go trigger unless you have aspirations of being a bass trombonist, and then only get a large bore trom.

A nice, well priced trom (apart from the 88H which sells cheap 2nd hand, and is essentially a knockoff of the old bach 42B) is the James Morrison Signature trombone from Yamaha. Good quality, good price and blows sweetly too.

10. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Troms

I play trombone, and have lately taken up Euph, but only to upset the valve players in the band!!
    Best troms, well down to personal preference and budget of course, for me, Conn 8H or 88H, King 4b

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Euphonium
    good make of trom
    orchestral stuff
    old band
    mo im
  12. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Agreed

13. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

I also took up the trombone fairly late - my second year of university (I was a euph performance student in my first year and I still love the euphonium).

I think you'll find that playing the trombone won't hurt your euphonium playing much (although it might make your euph playing a little brighter) but lots of euphonium playing isn't always great for your trombone playing. Maybe your experience will be different.

One of the earlier posters said that Rath is THE trombone today. Since you live in the UK, that's probably right. If you live in the US, Shires is THE trombone and if you live in most of western Europe, Thein is THE trombone. Bach 42s and Conn 88s are possibly still the most common trombones played in orchestras around the world. Edwards made some inroads in the 90s and, while they seem to be in decline in the US they may be growing in places like the UK (partially thanks to Chris Thomas and BAYV and the good people at The Valve) and Australia. Yamaha, Getzen, King, B&S, Courtois, Schmelzer, Kantzul etc make very good trombones - I'm not too sold on Besson.

At the end of the day, it'll be much more about you than about the brand and model of instrument you play. At your early stage of trombone development, I'd spend more money on good teaching than on an expensive new custom trombone. In NZ, you can get a VERY GOOD second hand Bach 42B or Conn 88H for less than a thousand pounds - hopefully you can in the UK as well.

Trombone / Euph is a great double to have. I get to play my euphonium at least 5 or 6 times a year in an orchestral setting and I love it. Good luck!

14. becks164

becks164 Member

ive only been playing the trombone for five years and done my grade 8!! i wouldnt change my instrument, i have a vincet bach stradivarus 36c, it cost me a fair bit, but wouldnt change the make. i did try out a conn 88h but did not feel happy woith that cause it was to heavy for me.
    i have started learning the euph because ive never learnt a valved instrument before, but no most of the scales on a valved instrument. hope ppl can help me out