Trombone Trios

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by YABBGB, Jun 3, 2003.

YABBGB New Member

Three of us on this forum will once again be the Trombone section on YABBs summer trip to USA & Canada in August.

1st - Neil Samuel
    2nd -Tim Morgan
    Bass - me

Can anybody out there recommend any decent new trombone trios as we've done the majority of the popular ones to death now (Frolic, Trombola, Dem Bones, Recipe, I will follow him etc etc) and need something a little more exciting.

Richard Batten
  2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

We've just started rehearsing a new trio called SLIDE RULE by Gareth J. Green. A very good, lively piece, written in 3/4 time. Plenty of work for the trombones and band.
    It's Published by Yendell Music.

3. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

At one of the "all star" bands at Uppermill the trombone team played Trumpets Wild. It worked really well. I've also heard Buglers holiday played by trombone trio.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When we were at Cambridge Heath the trombones used to play the cornet trio "The Veterans", which always used to go down well.
  5. rach marriott

rach marriott Member

I'd be mega upset if you got rid of Recipe! :cry: I like that one!

YABBGB New Member

You've only done it for 2 weekend trips - maybe you wont be so enthusiastic after playing it everyday for a full 2 week tour also !

Dont get me wrong - it's a great arrangement however having done it on the same tour 2 years ago then we really need something different.

7. rach marriott

rach marriott Member

Booooo!!!! :cry:

I don't really mind so much. I'm sure Jude & I won't be taking too much notice anyway!!!!!! That's such a bad idea putting us together on the back! ha ha ha!!!! :wink:
  8. amgray

amgray Member

Pete Maunder ( New Zealand Symphony Orchestra) arranged "Don't go changing". Technically demanding but typically Pete - very musical.
    Does anyone know if he published it / made it available?

IYOUNG Member

Weve been playing Alan fernie's Sad & Blue recently

Not over difficult but great if you like the laid back stuff

Ian Young
    MD Marlow Band
  10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

We recorded Colin Bugby's funky trio 'Splat!' for him at our Christmas concert last year (before going straight on into 'Frosty the Snowman'...); it's superiorly cheesy but snappy with a definite 70s cop show theme feel - great fun and well worth a look, with solo sections for each of the three players. You can get it from his website,

Is that okay Colin? :lol:

11. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

If you can get hold of it, Mark Freeh's arrangement of Holiday for trombones by Leroy Anderson is excellent - if its published, it may be in the Warner catalogue.
  12. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

slides in swingtime is a great little jazzy trio by darrol barry, (we also dropped the bass bone down an octave where he was in unison with 2nd tromb to give it a bit more depth)
    there is lots of scope with it eg drum feature, finger clicks etc :wink:
  13. YABBGB

YABBGB New Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've just been informed that there's a new trombone trio arrangement of It's Not Unusual (a la Tom Jones style) by Phil Lawrence (complete with instructions for the Solo Horn player to throw knickers at the soloists ! Are you ready for this Helen ? better take loads of spare pairs with you !!!).

Apparently it's reviewed in the Bandsman this week.

Anybody played it yet ?

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

I found this for you - View the score here
  15. YABBGB

YABBGB New Member

I cannot view or play from my work PC so will logon as soon as I get home shortly and take a look/listen.

16. rach marriott

rach marriott Member

How's about the back row throw knickers instead!!! ha ha!
    (Mainly, me & Ju!)
  17. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

not our back row - big ugly blokes esp. that Kevin - although he might do the knickers thing . . .
  18. Ali

Ali Member

Dobcross have recently been playing a couple of yellow copy trios called "The blades of Toledo" and "The 3 Tromboneers". Quality pieces and really quite tough. We have found that the "Blades" goes down really well.
  19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We used to play "The Three Blades Of Toledo" quite a lot under Trevor Sharpe, and it always went down well - it is on one of the budget price re-release recordings of the Coldstream Band.