Trombone Technique / Practice Routines..

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrotherBone, Jun 28, 2006.

1. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

Anyone know of any decent books on practice technique or routines to follow, having not had any lessons for the last 10 years im lacking structure for my practice and could use something to help get me back on track..

Thanks in advance.
  2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

"Ben's Basics" for bass / tenor trombone + F attachment by Ben van Dijk

Full of great exercises and plenty of useful tips and advice. My playing has improved a great deal since I started using this book. Available from Warwick Music or from Ben's own website.

"Warm-Up Exercises for Trombone" by Emory Remington

Good exercises, but just exercises - no advice or tips at all.

NB both of these books are in bass clef.

I would strongly recommend the Remmington Study book. Was advised to get it by tutor whilst at University 10 years ago and its brilliant. Used it at uni, then didn't pick it up again until I joined Sellers last year, when I had to get back into a regular practice routine again. Is really good for tenor players but bass trom players can adapt it to suit.

Another good one was How Trombonists Do It. Can't remember the bloke who wrote it, but that was good. Had a yellow and white cover. Don't use it anymore as someone pinched mine about 4 years ago whislt at my other band.

Also, I've been using some Bach Cello Suites off Douglas Yeo's website - particularly good for lip flexibility and breathing.

Hope this helps. Charmian.
  4. 8th position

8th position Member

Some very good suggestions so far. The Remington Studies is the "classic" example, but if you go for that try to get the version edited by Donald Hunsberger, which includes notes and transcribed conversations with Mr. Remington giving you ideas about how to practice the various exercises.

"How Trombonists Do It" is written by Peter Gane and Eric Crees. Very useful, as is Peter Gane's "Circuit Training".

My personal favourite is "Daily Routines" by David Vining. These are a set of daily exercises which systematically go through all the various technical aspects, each with a slightly different focus. For example, each routine has exercises covering long tone, slow and fast lip flexibility, dynamic change/extremes, high and low register, tonguing etc. There are various different routines in the book so you have a lot of variety. Each routine takes about 45 mins and then you can expand on this or move on to other things as time allows.

I'd also have a look at Howard Snell's Trumpet book. Although primarily aimed at the trumpet the vast majority of the information is extremely useful for all brass players, particularly (for you) the information on practice sessions.

Yeah, the Hunsberger edition is the one which I use and it does have a lot of useful tips n' stuff in it. Just don't take any notice of the pictures of the oldest, most sexist trombone choir ever photographed! Think they could do with being updated...

TIMBONE Active Member

When I was at college many years ago, I developed a warm up routine which covers everything, tone, stability, lip flexibility, tongueing, diaphragm, slide movement, posture etc, and it takes less than ten miniutes. It has been invaluable, either as a warm up before I play something else, or as a practise routine if I havn't much time, even something to get my technique going if I have had a non-playing spell. PM me your address, and I will send you the details. No, it won't cost anything, it's only a postage stamp, and this is tMP! :)
  7. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

Nobody's mentioned the Arban's book for trombone (or trumpet). Taken in snippets, it's chock-full of exercises that work all aspects of playing.

The Joannes Rochut Melodious Etudes for Trombone will help with phrasing and breath control, not to mention intonation.

I always, always, always practice with a metronome.
  8. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I am delighted to say that my 9 year old daughter has just discovered the benefits of practising with a metronome. She uses most of my trumpet/cornet stuff like the Arban, kopprasch, lip flexibilites I have slelcted from the Jay D Zorn "exploring the upper register" book and stuff like that. She doesn't seem to mind them too much but is always delighted to move on to pieces!