Trombone Solo's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, Apr 16, 2003.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

I know this'll get a fair few responses.

Been playing tromb for many years and spent some time as first tromb both orchestrally and in bands, however i was never offered a solo and never really asked for one as i was young and nervous when doing solo stuff.

I went to university.

I'm not so young and nervous, and now I want to play a decent lively and fun, crowd pleaser of a solo. last year I played Wind Beneath My Wings on Bass Tromb which was a bit of an effort being at the top end of the register, and although a lovely piece not exactly what I want to do now. The Acrobat is the obvious one, but too predictable for me, I want to play something a little more unusual.

Any suggestions?

Incidently, I'm back on Tenor Tromb.

Look forward to your suggestions.

2. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

Here's the ones I've had a look at...

Played in concert:
    The Acrobat - Yeah, it's the obvious one... but it's the crowd pleaser! Can be made all the better by going for a walk around the room whilst you play (you won't need the music if you practice enough) and "teasing" the band on the glisses... go up and then back down... and up... and down... and then up and GO!

Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Get a few extra glisses in there and it's a big hit. You're a Trombone player, you should be flamboyant! Think Freddie Mercury! :D

Concert Variations - Confidence is the key on this challenging solo... be prepared for that Top D at the end, and practice your double tonguing!

Ones I've just practiced:

Share My Yoke - Beautiful melody, no harsh tones in this one and you'll ensure there's not a dry eye in the house/park/any other venue

Love's Enchantment - Have your manly parts surgically removed first. You'll need it. :D Lovely solo, though.

The Laughing Trombone - This one's great! I'd love to have got chance to play it in concert, but I left the band before I could... :( You have to make the Trombone sound like it's laughing.. and there's plenty of glisses in it. Helps if you have gasometers for lungs.

Stardust - Another one in the higher registers... but still a good one!

"Elaine" from Tintagel - This is beautiful... I know it's a contest piece, but this movement as a Trombone solo is great.

And my personal favourite... another I wish I'd got a chance to play in a concert...

Count Your Blessings

It's a Salvation Army one, think of it as "Grandfather's Clock Theme and Variations" for Trombone! Needs a fast wrist and plenty of confidence.

re: The Acrobat... like I say, it's Cheese King of Cheese City, but the crowd ALWAYS love it, especially when you enjoy the performance yourself. Give them something to remember!
  3. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Rhapsody For Trombone is Excellent as is Carmen Fantasy ( not sure if this is done for band however.)

Autumn Leaves is another good choice. Or the old favorite BLue Bells Of Scotland.
  4. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Heres a few from Darrol Barry:-

Wind Beneath My Wings
    The Summer Knows (for Ian Bousefield)
    Blues & Cappricio (for Brett Baker)
    Killing Me Softly
    Love is All Around
  5. Highams

Highams Member

I'm not a trombone player but have always liked Boliva, that used to be John Pollard's favourite at Grimethorpe, though I think the band parts are as difficult as the solo line.
  6. youngman

youngman Member

What about Wise Guy or Blue John ??
    I'm led to believe that the nightingale was originally written for trombone and is playable with a bit of work.
    Missing You is a steady no. and quite classy. :D
  7. dave jake

dave jake Member

Leaning on a lampost very cheesy but brill,always goes down fantastic. Eat your heart out George Formby 8) 8)
  8. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Well harold moss the guy wgho wrote it was a trombone player. so you never know.

And a bit of trivia for you Harold Moss is the grandfather of the guy who plays Zack Dingle in Emmerdale.

Yes i know im sad.
  9. Colin

Colin Member

At the risk here of 'blowing my own trombone', I'll be playing my own piece Meditation for Trombone with band in a concert this Saturday. If anyone is interested in the piece, there is an pdf of the solo part and an mp3 clip on my website.
  10. Lyndsay

Lyndsay New Member

I have been playing James Curnow's Fantasy for Trombone. It has a nice melody but is also quite technically difficult in places (well I found out quite difficult!). Also I really like the arrangement of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot for trombone. If something easy is what you are after the Berceuse de Jocelyn is a good one to start off with I think.
  11. timbloke

timbloke Member

Thanks all, should give me something to get my teeth stuck into. :shock:

12. angie

angie Member

do blue bells-it knocks the audience dead everytime! i played the band part with ian bousefield doing the solo and will never forget it
  13. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Hi Angie,

I'll take a guess here - was that with the NYBB last year at Bradford?
    If so, I heard it and timed the last variation at a crotchet = 190!! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!

14. angie

angie Member

you guessed it!
    what a spectacular concert that was!
  15. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

The dial on my crotchet doesn't go that high... you must have the super-deluxe-furry-dice version Roger..
  16. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Yeah! I got a free nodding dog and a Ford Cortina with it.

17. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

"All the way", Frank Sinatra's version, one of the solo's in Mark Freeh's "Frankly Speaking". Brilliant.
  18. Bonesmalone

Bonesmalone Member

Trom Solo

Dark Eyes,

What a cracking solo, done it with Ratby Co - op, great to listen to and a good test to your playing register :
  19. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

Hi All,

Can someone please tell me what the highest note is in 'Wind Beneath My Wings'. I'd love to play it but was told it gets quite top end heavy towards the end!

Thanks, Jenny
  20. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Can't seem to find my copy at the moment, but if I remember rightly the top note is a C#. The last line or two is all above the stave but it's not stupidly high.