Trombone Solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ratpit, Oct 28, 2007.

1. ratpit

ratpit Member

I usually teach cornet & trumpet but I taken on a good young trombone student

We've done the Acrobat what else should he learn from the Brass Band Repertoire?

He's keen to do some Slow Melody competitions and Music Festivals

Your ideas will be appreciated

2. slider

slider Member

Bach Cello Suites as studies - best edition Alphonse Leduc

Not specifically brass band but excellent for practice at home alone. Practice everyday forever and will not be a master of them all.
  3. ratpit

ratpit Member

Cheers that's a good call

I'm trying to get this lad to listen

Who is the best living trombone player to hear?

I would go for Mark Nightingale but he's a jazzer

Any suggestions

4. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I'll second that!

Lafosse books are good to have as well.

Solo Brass Band rep, hmmmm, the problem with trombone solos is that they tend to sit a bit higher in the register than other instruments.

You could do Londonderry Air, Arr. John Iveson, goes up to a high B (Treble Clef) is nice and shows off some good lyrical playing :tup
  5. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Best trombone player to hear? All of them!
    The big names are Joe Alessi, Christian Lindberg and Ian Bousfield.
    Bones Apart would be a good choice too
  6. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Could I suggest the title track from Chris Thomas's just- released Trombone solos CD with Cory's?

The Noble Trombone published by Winwood Music.
  7. slider

slider Member

Jay Jay Johnson - Count Basie - Kanas City Seven track one Lockjaw - a duet with Eddie " LockJaw" Davis on Sax.
    Two veterans showing all their skills and experience.
  8. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Brett Baker, Ian Bousfield , Dudley Bright.
  9. Blagger

Blagger Member

Christian Lindberg - he will inspire and blow your mind all in one go - utterly awesome
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

In addition to those already mentioned, you could look out for Alan Trudel, Ronald Barron, Jacques Mauger or Branimar Slokar.

For brass band: Nick Hudson, Bertrand Moren, Andrew Justice.

Bass trombone: Doug Yeo, Ben van Dijk
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

hmmm ... no-one's mentioned Wycliffe Gordon or Robin Eubanks! Both have immense talent!
  12. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

Thanks for the plug, Brian!

My advice for a good keen youngster (especially one who has experienced The Acrobat and has come back for more!) would be to listen to everything, take advice, but make your own decisions as to what you want to play. June Emerson stocks everything. Spend a few quid - you may unearth a gem!

Then work until your neighbours fists come through the walls!

As for players, you can't go wrong with a good Lindberg collection, although I'm currently reviewing Ian Bousfield's French Collection for BBW and it's a belter!

13. Active Member

I think it's for British Bandsman, Chris!

Also, Chris's own excellent new solo CD The Noble Trombone is being reviewed in the same issue.
  14. rgdunning

rgdunning Member

Hi there!!! There is another piece just like The Acrobat and its called The Joker. its a similar little checky number but lots of fun!!!! But i aggree with what "Hells Bones" siad about the solo Londonderry Air, Arr. John Iveson is a lovely piece to play!!!!!
    Keep Sliding!!!!
  15. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member