Trombone Solos with Piano accomp

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by gcbtrom, Sep 25, 2008.

1. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

I'm after a fairly interesting piece, bit of slow and bit of technical stuff in for an upcoming music festival which does involve being judged.

I've had a nose at Christian Lindbergs Csardas on Youtube and think I could hack it (with some practice obviously...)

Anyone got any other suggestions?

2. alangiff3

alangiff3 Member

Have you tried Morceau Symphonique?
  3. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

That sounds quite nice - another one on youtube. Found the shete music on Sibelius music too.
  4. Active Member

Sonata 'Vox Gabrieli' (Stjepan Sulek)
    Cavatine (Camille Saint-Saens)
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Bozza 'Ballade'
  6. umchacha56k

umchacha56k Member

cavatine or morceau x2
  7. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Langford Rhapsody for trombone.......apart from the Big tune and the first marking "Molto cantabile e lusheroso" it does also have the adlib cadenza with percussion backing

printed by Chandos
  8. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Morceau (Guilmant), Cavatine (Saint Saens) always good in such circumstances.

Hommage a Bach (Bozza), Cantabile e Scherzando (Busser) are good to play. If you want really technical, why not go for one of the Pryor solos - you can get a book with lots of them in.

The Sulek vox Gabrieli is a lovely piece and quite hard to pull off, but itsnt all that technical.
  9. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

Right, I've had a quick bash at Morceau Symphonique and it's pretty easy to play - even swapping from tenor, bass and treble clef in the same line!!!

Trouble is (yes you might be able to guess) the top D# near the end. Managed to get something that sounded like a top D# but was very, well, painful to listen too...
  10. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

It might be worth considering how many others plan to play the Peices mentioned....try being original in your programming, judges will respondin a positive way when they don't have to hear the Morceau for the 5th time.

just a thought.
  11. kabaal

kabaal New Member

Edit: Ah sry too fixated on Brass Bands I am, didn't read the "with Piano accompaniment" bit :).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008

Another vote for the Bozza here. Smashing piece, and not that often played. There is also the Larsson Concertino (probably spelt wrong but you get the idea...) which is a great piece with a lovely slow middle movement.
  13. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

im definetly not an expert on the troms but would stardust be suitable? :rolleyes:
  14. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Good idea. The second and third movements of the Larsson would make a nice choice.
  15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Suggest Choral, Cadence et Fugato by Henri Duttelieux. A nice compact piece which is musically and technically challenging. I would steer clear of anything brass bandy as 80% of it is rubbish. 1st Movt of the Jacob Concerto is also a good piece and works well on it's own.

If you're after more of a challenge, how's about the Tomasi Concerto? 2nd & 3rd Movts work well.
  16. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Trombone with Piano?

Bluebells is good but I hope you got a lot of top D's in the tank and it gets a bit mental at the end.

You could do the David, the Grondahl, Hindemith, Sulek, Morceau, Larsson.

Doolallynastics anyone? it is unaccompanied mind. And solid. Search it by Hakan Bjorkman on youtube ;)
  17. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

What is the time limit and the title of the class? (e.g. own choice brass solo ages 15 -18, brass solo grades 6 - 7, open slow melody etc.) Its really important with festivals to get that bit right as affliated festivals will hear you play but not award points if you go over the time limit or play the wrong sort of piece.

for "own choice" with a time limit of around 5 minutes it can be really tricky to find a piece that does everything you want it to but what about Rob Wiffin's "shout" fo something original.

For longer time limits how about:
    Rimsky-Korsakov trombone concerto Mvt 1 and 2 - probably around 8 minutes
    Edward Gregson's Divertimento - about 6 and a half minutes
    Sonatina by Serocki - 3 movements which contrast and around 7 and half minutes
    Hellas by Bruce Frase - around 5 and a half minutes
    The Noble Trombone by Brian Bowen -around 5 minutes

The Morcaeu and the Saint-Seans Cavatine are great pieces but do get played a lot as they are on the Grade 8 lists for both Trinity Guildhall and Associated Board.

Hope that helps - good luck. When's the Festival?
  18. PaddySears

PaddySears Member

I'd definately vote for the vox gabrielli by Sulek...

Its a great piece and a real challange to bring the most out of it....
  19. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

Taken from the Guernsey Eisteddfod Website:

"BRASS SOLO - OPEN. Cyril T Hockaday Cup. ‘Own Choice’
    Time limit: 8 mins State instrument on entry form"