Trombone Solos from around 1900

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by vjarjadian, Jan 28, 2011.

1. vjarjadian

vjarjadian New Member

My band is coming to be 110 years old, and i thought it might be nice to play a trombone solo from that era... however ive had some trouble finding good details on some of the composers from ones ive played on google.

anyone know of any off the top of their head?
  2. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

What about some Arthur Pryor solos?

Dudley Bright of the LSO played one which was a waltz, but I cannot remember the name of it. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to name it.
  3. bigE

bigE New Member

Loves Enchantment.....good solo
  4. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Anything by Pryor, but I hope you've got high register lips.

Loves Enchantment, Thoughts of Love, The Little Chief. There are loads to choose from (And not all of them require the pyrotechnics of Bluebells and Annie Laurie.)
  5. vjarjadian

vjarjadian New Member

i prefer my lower register... but theres always tiny mouthpieces or maraculously having the piece appear one octave lower :)
  6. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

That was the one :biggrin:
  7. Hells Bones

Well, the range of Love's Enchantment is top D to pedal A. Same for Bluebells.
    You sure you fancy that down the octave? ;)
  8. Hells Bones

Tell a lie, there's a top E in the full version of Love's Enchantment.
    The band version doesn't have that bit in though (Unless you edit it in).
  9. vjarjadian

vjarjadian New Member

Top D to pedal A would certainly be interesting down the octave would have to check if thats possible with 6/7th position and both triggers (assuming your thinking concert key)

Thank-you for the replies so far, ive looked up some of them and they indeed do go high... those old trombonists must of been good considering the technology behind their slides at the time...
  10. Hells Bones

Nope, I'm talking BB pitch.
    Concert pitch it is top C to pedal G.
    And no, both triggers and 7th gets you a double pedal Bb :)

(Yes, I am a nerd :tup)
  11. vjarjadian

vjarjadian New Member

only a semitone out....

some trombonists would call that in tune... lol
  12. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

No, if you have a Bb/F/D bass you can get the 18-foot B-flat - making the trombone the same tubing length as a BBb bass, and if you can pedal it from there, bingo!

I think Bluebells goes down to a pedal G (concert pedal F) doesn't it?

And I had a question: does anyone know if there's a version of Annie Laurie with piano accompaniment? Nothing shows up on :(
  13. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Yes there is - published by Southern Music in the US. There are a number of other versions recorded with piano accompaniment too including one by Joe Alessi
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012