Trombone Slow Melody Inspiration

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tinkabell, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Hello all,
    I'm after a bit of help from fellow tMPers please.
    I have a 15 year old tenor trombone pupil, who is currently working on her diploma. She loves playing technically demanding pieces and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge that Czardaz brought :eek: .
    But, I want to broaden her slow melody repertoire. Maybe something with a slight swing / jazz feel (she plays in big band aw well as brass band / orchestra). I would also prefer a piece that has piano accompaniment.
    Can anyone please give me a little bit of inspiration?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Hows about Serenade by Don Lusher, Stardust by Charmicheal arr Geldard, Elegy for Mippy II by Bernstien, 2nd Mvt of the Grondahl Trombone Concerto, 2nd Mvt of the Larrson Trombone Concerto, Im Getting Sentimental by Tommy Dorsey.

That should do for a starter for 10!!!!

Hope that helps!
  3. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I'm really glad this thread was started as I need inspiration for trombone slow melodies too for my young duaghter to take part at some solo contests. She is certainly not as proficient as Tinkabell's pupil so they would need to be at a lower level, say around Grade 5 or 6. She has a decent range (bottom G to A above the stave comfortably, above that needs a bit more security) and her slide work isn't too bad but she hasn't yet mastered the art of truly smooth playing. Any (sensible) suggestions for slow melodies to try?

Sorry Tinkabell for hijacking your thread!

4. 2ndslidedown

2ndslidedown New Member

I always liked Saint-Saens Cavatine for trombone and piano - I wouldnt say its particularly difficult but with a good tone, can sound great!
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

The Marquis of Salisbury's Pavanne.

Me playing the piece caused an adjudicator to ask for the title to be confirmed, despite having the piuece in front of him.

A test of style more than anything else, but a favourite of mine.
  6. the wind beneathe my wings

apre un reve

autumn leaves

could you and your pupil work together to arrange a solo part and then find a good piano arranger to write a piano accomp. with it?
  7. 1st Position

1st Position Member

For the big band, why not try Henry Mancini's 'Too Little Time'. This combines slow melody playing, with the full range of the instrument, and an eight bar ad lib. This piece is better known as the theme from the Glenn Miller Story. Also for big band, there is an arrangement of Lionel Ritchies' 'Truly'.

Both of these show off the lyrical side of a trombonists playing, but not best played at the end of the night.
  8. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

"Berceuse de Jocelyn" - not jazz, but an essential part of the repertoire. I think all decent trombonists have probably played this at some point in their learning process; I still do.
  9. andreab

andreab Member

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  10. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Not a problem at all! I think the more ideas and suggestions that are thrown around, the better.
    Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far, your suggestions are much appreciated and am already in the process of following a couple of them up.

2ndslidedown, i too agree that Cavatine is a beautifull piece. My pupil played this as part of her ABRSM grade 8 and for the local 'young musician competition' recital.

Kis, One that you might like to try, is another Saint-Saens piece, The Swan. Simple, yet very effective if played with a good tone and feeling. It provides a challenge, due to having to come in on a top A at piano, but has always gone down well with my pupils.
    I am a believer that a piece doesn't have to be technically difficult, flying around all over the stave for it to sound effective. Some of the best pieces are those that are just a pure, simple melody. Well, thats just my opinion!
    Once again, thanks for your contributions to this thread. Please keep suggestions coming.

11. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

How about Blessed Assurance (arr Simon Wood), it starts as a simple slow melody, then moves into something a little more jazzy, however the upper range does need to be secure as it goes up to a concert c.
  12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

It's still on the Grade 8 list though!

A lot of the mid-20th century French repertoire is in a lighter vein than the heavy stuff (like the Hindemith!). A particular favourite of mine is the Piece in Eb by Ropartz. If your student has a good high register, maybe Deux Dances by Defaye might be something to aim for. Somebody mentioned Four Sketches by Tony Cliff on another topic the other day. Again, a nice, effective piece and not too hard.

Hope your student finds something interesting.
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sonata for Trombone and Piano "Vox Gabrieli" (1973) by Stjepan Ĺ ulek has a range of colours and good accompaniment from piano.

Although not a complete slow work, Choral, Cadence et fugato by Henri Dutilleux is an interesting work for trom. and piano. Here's a review ...
  14. Bass Trumpet

Worth noting that both the Sulek and the Dutillieux have fiendish piano parts - I know, I've played them both and recieved some choice words from accompanists! Neither of them are as bad as the Hindemith, though - the accompanist's nemesis!
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I never realised you had talent as a pianist as well ;) Talking about piano accompaniments, did Poulenc ever write a trombone work with piano? I was given a slap by an accompanist at college for playing his Elegie for french horn! (on french horn)
  16. Bass Trumpet

My wife is a very good accompanist, so I get to appreciate the traumas thay have to face!
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Another one worth considering is Ray Steadman Allen's setting of Stephen Foster's "Beautiful Dreamer", under the title "My story and song".
  18. concert variations, great little piece with a mix of slow melody, jazzy bluesy section, and up tempo with a nice high note to finish, can't beat a bit of good don lusher!
  19. just remembered a belter piece for trombone, the pastels from the 4 shades by tony cliff, lovely melody in there and the piano accomp. aint too bad either!
  20. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

slow movement of the Casterede Sonatine Pour Trombone et Piano