Trombone Slide-to-bell joint

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by RonBarnes, Nov 12, 2013.

1. RonBarnes

RonBarnes Member

Has anyone a bright idea for increasing the friction on the slide to bell connection?
    I have an Edwards bass trom but I always have difficulty in preventing the rotation of the bell away from the slide, especially when the bell has a heavy cup mute in it! The threaded collar is as tight as it will go but it still doesn't hold the bell section properly. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You could try putting PTFE tape on the thread

3. feelyon

feelyon New Member

I don't know about this but someone suggested that peg dope designed for string instruments to stop the tuning pegs from "slipping" might work on metal. I think it comes in a stick form but might be worth investigating.

4. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Any such dope should be applied sparingly, and not on the thread, in case this seizes the fastening up.

I'd look at the join between the two sections of the instrument - if there's any grease or valve oil on the male/female surfaces, this will reduce the friction/resistance on which this joint depends, and is (in my experience) the most likely cause of such slippage. The thread of the collar joint (on Conn and Edwards, I believe) and the ligature fastening (on Rath) only serve to secure the joint, and should not be over-tightened.

5. nethers

nethers Active Member

I've had a couple of bones that would fall apart if the join was overtightened - if it was just screwed together lightly it would hold fine. I couldn't understand why (I don't know how to physics) but another trombonist gave me the tip and it certainly works!

6. RonBarnes

RonBarnes Member

Thanks guys. I tried Dave's suggestion of winding some PTFE tape around the thread, and it seems to work pretty well - the bell is firmly attached to the slide. I'll see how long it lasts.

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Glad it helped :)

I seem to remember having to do this to a Bach 50B2L a long time ago - it needed reapplying after a couple of months, as I recall.