Trombone Quandry!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tenor Trom Tim, May 12, 2011.

1. Tenor Trom Tim

Tenor Trom Tim New Member

Hi all, after a long absence of banding I got myself a virtuosi tenor trom, 700 series and although they're not that bad I'd like to step up another level. I've seen a new Yamaha 447G for £725 which is an intermediate level or do I go for a used 1992 onwards Yamaha 681B for £550 with the usual signs of age.

Would be grateful for any opinions.

Big thanks - Tim

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yamaha
    Tim
    new Yamaha
    series
    virtuosi tenor trom
  3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Go for the 681B....2nd hand pro beats new intermediate everytime....and they are great horns!!

4. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

^ What he said. I bought my 681B new in the mid-90's and I certainly wouldn't want to swap it for a new intermediate.

If you go for the 681B, just make sure the slide action is smooth as silk. Anything less, walk away.

5. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

I agree the 681B is clearly the best option. Try it if you can before buying just to make sure it suits your playing.

6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Truth....

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It often beats brand new pro, truth be told...

8. Tenor Trom Tim

Tenor Trom Tim New Member

Yamaha or Conn?

:tup Thankyou all for the info but, I now have another offer, so now I need to ask:

Yamaha 681B or Conn 8H (both 10years old or so & similar price)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated (should be my last choice!)

Cheers, Tim :tup

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  9. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

10. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

They are both good trombones and it will come down to which one suits your playing best. When I played the trombone I found I could get a much better sound out of the yamaha. I found the conn a lot harder to play. I also knew other trombone players who loved conn trombones. Ideally you need to try each side by side.

11. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yamaha
    Tim
    new Yamaha
    series
    virtuosi tenor trom
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You'll run across more players playing Conn 8H or 88Hs than anything else out there in the UK. If you buy the Conn, you'll have an easier time getting a really good section blend in a random gig situation more often, for sure. But there's nothing wrong with the 681B. What are the players you are playing with playing?

Moral: Conns are popular in the UK, and their very popularity makes one a very safe bet. But either would do happily if they are good instruments.

p.s. I'd still try them both in advance though. You'll run across poor-blowing Conns from time to time - less so Yamahas.

13. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Depends on how the 8H blows......you need to try it.