Trombone Players (And publishers) HO!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hells Bones, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hiya guys!

Came up with an idea today and thought I'd bounce it of you guys. Over the last 3 years or so I have been doing arrangements for Trombone Quartet for the quartets that I play/ed in.

Since moving to college a couple of the tutors have asked me why I don't get them published.

Do you guys think there would be a suitable market for them? And how would I go about publishing them through a company without getting lynched?

(P.S. Mods, hope this is in the right place)
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

Just make sure that all the copyrights are sorted before you go to anyone - to avoid problems! :)
  3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

once the copyright issue is sorted

set up your own company....publish or sell them on electronic transfer throuygh BTS ITA Ebay etc
  4. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Try and get them available as a download on iTunes or somethin like that 2, increase your exposure to the market!
  5. Hells Bones

You have heard a couple of them Rob, you seemed to like them :)
  6. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Indeed I did my friend, well worthy of a download I should say!
  7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Try getting some advice from Kevin Morgan ( principal trombone Bournmouth Symphony Orchestra ) , friendly and helpful am sure he will be able to point you in the right direction ( also brilliant cd too "Off the beaten track" )

hope this helps.
  8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

As far as getting them published is concerned, just send them to a few people and see what they say. The advantage of a publisher (rather than the DIY approach) is that they will sort out any copyright issues on your behalf.

As to whether there is a market, that's more difficult. I can't imagine there are that many trombone quartets in the UK, are there? As a trombonist you're probably in a better position to judge demand than most publishers - maybe you could stick a couple on SibeliusMusic, email the link to a few contacts and ask people to post their reactions (would they buy them, what would they be prepared to pay, etc.).
  9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Warwick Music stock a lot of brass titles. However, I would avoid them - they approached me a few years back, asking for permission to publish some of my stuff. I sent them off a new quintet arrangement (of some Byrd, so without copyright issues to complicate matters), and waited... and waited... and waited... It took them over a year to get it into print! And IIRC they've sold a single figure number of copies in the years since then. Nice people - shame about the service.
  10. Hells Bones

who here would be interested in buying them?

I have a few, some of which have copyright issues that I am going to sort out before I publish but most are copyright free.

the lineup is either TTTB or ATTB, but I have done it so that I can modify the alto line to make it suitable for tenor players with ease.

Anyone want any more info?
  11. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I'd be interested in more info as I have a trombone quartet, Bone Idol, made up of my private students. They are around G7 and G8 standard and are 3 tenors and 1 bass.