trombone pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kenbo, Nov 11, 2006.

1. kenbo

kenbo New Member

Hi everybody

Can anyody suggest a good trombone solo? Must be quite subtle, not to technical, a good work to show off trombone tonal qualities.:woo
  2. timbloke

timbloke Member

Are you after solos for trombone with piano (or on its own), or trombone with full band accomp.?

Not all related to your criteria, but there are a few good suggestions in this thread here

I'd suggest Berceuse de Jocelyn if you want a nice simple peice that can really show off the quality of the instrument. Alternatively Stardust is a nice one.
  3. kenbo

kenbo New Member

Thanks Timbloke.

I am looking for a not to technical solo for trom and band. I play second and as many of us are, a returner after having family etc. Played Dem Bones with Les Web, and john Stirzy (sorry John) which went down well and i actualy enjoyed standing out front and playing, which surprised me. I don't realy want to do Acrobat, or the gliding slide.

Has anybody got a brief MP3 of autunm leaves so i can have a listen to see if its for me. I heard Les Web play it once and seemed quite difficult and inthe upper register.

Just got back from Salford cenotaph, i don't march due to mobility problem, so I played on the stand with Winsor band Salford, plus quite few others, it was a very enjoyable experience.
  4. les

les Member

I heard Les Web play it once and seemed quite difficult and inthe upper register.

I Do hope you were not suggesting I made it sound quite difficult in the upper register!

It is a beautiful solo, but you do need a reliable top register to play it. I'll get you a copy if you like and you can judge for yourself.

Les Webb
    MD Eccles Borough Band:cool:
  5. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Morceau de Concert - Alexander Guilmant (Arr. For Brass Band - Ray Steadman Allen).
    Cavatine (Camille Saint-Säens, arr. James Gourley)...
    Berceause de Jocelyn (Benjamin Godard, arr. Ball)..
  6. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

The Acrobat is an easy piece. Or if you want to be very ambitious try Boliver.
  7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Altogether now-

"Boliver, Boliver, never before has a boy wanted more!"...............

8. Active Member

Hold Thou My Hand (Michael Kenyon); a beautifully sensitive tune, an original of the composer, is the theme of this seldom heard slow melody trombone solo. As recorded by Andrew Justice on Immortal Themes.

Consecration (Don Morrison); a beautiful solo featuring the tunes 'Take me as I am' and 'Teach me how to love thee'. The solo is popular with both Salvation Army and non-SA soloists alike.

Silent Night (Barrie Gott); A super smooth arrangement of this Christmas favourite which allows the (trombone) soloist licence for 'silky smooth' playing in the upper register.

Softly Awakes My Heart (Saint-Saens arr. Don Morrison); This famous aria, sung by 'Delilah' in Saint-Saens opera 'Samson and Delilah' arranged for trombone and brass band.
  9. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

LMAO! :eek: If your playing is as good as your wit you will be a good player one day...................................
  10. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

The Lamb by Dorothy Gates is an attractive atmospheric solo, also based on a tune by Michael Kenyon and recorded by Andrew Justice (The Kingdom Triumphant/ISB). Do you publish it, WoB?

For something a little more technical, may I suggest The Noble Trombone, published by Winwood (Rosehill) and recorded by Dudley Bright (Principals/NYSB).;)
  11. Active Member

More likely to be USA Eastern if it's one of Dorothy's although I haven't seen them advertise it yet.
  12. vonny

vonny Member

Hi Ken,

What about the Departure of the Queen of Sheba? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
    This sure would get your slide moving ;)
    Nah sorry I don't really know what solo's to suggest, but it would be nice if we could chat again soon - It's been a while :D
    When I was at work last week I saw your locker with your name on when you did art at Bolton :D

Take care,

Yvonne x
  13. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

In The Wee Small Hours of The Morning arranged by Derek Broadbent (?)
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I find that the Sonata written by Eric Ewazen shows off the melodic capabilities of the trombone whilst still challenging the performer (... same goes for all his brass works ... very considerate to the listener as well).

- audio samples here
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  15. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Is it not Alan Fernie? I know Alan has done one which is based round the Carly Simon version of the song, as featured on 'sleepless in Seattle'. Really nice.

Otherwise have you thought about A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square (Howard Snell I think).

Kenbo, I did one entitled 'The Power of your Love' a couple of years back. It's quite showy and based on the worship song of the same name. PM me if you want it.
  16. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

There is a version by Derek Broadbent. It was recorded by Don Lusher on the The Lusher Side of Brighouse & Rastrick -probably before you were born methinks Paul!!
  17. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

The avatar is not a picture of me it's my wee lad! When i was that size they took pictures in black and white!
  18. kenbo

kenbo New Member

Please let me appologise to Les for any misunderstanding. When les played Autunm leaves he played it very very well and had no trouble with the piece whats so ever, in fact he made it sound easy. What I was suggesting is that I would personaly find Autunm leaves difficult piece, in particular in the upper registar. And that this may be a piece out of my reach. Sorry Les.:tup :oops:
  19. beckystead85

beckystead85 New Member

How about a Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square which is one i'm playing at the mo. Its a very nice slow melody solo and not too technical, however, saying that you will need to be able to play a top d at the end. Other then that its quite straight forward and simple.
  20. kenbo

kenbo New Member

Thanks Becky, I can just about manage a top D. Do you know where i can get a copy, i only want the solo part. Basically I am looking for solos that i can play at home. If i ca get comfortable with one i may ask our MD if we can have a go at it as a band. As asecond trombone player I may lack the condfidence to stand out front in my own. But at a recent concert I did play Dem Bones with my fellow trombones, and that felt prety good, so who knows? Does anybody know any good melodic studies for trombone, possibly a book of graded studies? This might seem a bit school boyish, but it was the way i learn't (back in the dark ages when sackbutts were king, and horns had no valves)