Trombone piece at Last night of the Proms

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

What did people think of that trombone and motorbike piece? Personally I thought it was awful. One of those pieces that seems more concerned with showing how clever the player is than actually being a nice piece of music.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Trombone piece
    motorbike piece
    nice piece of music
    people
    night
  3. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

It was certainly different! I quite enjoyed it - plenty to take in both aurally and visually.

For more information about the concerto in question have a look at.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorbike_Concerto

Definitely a modern "descriptive" piece of music!

4. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

Who performed the piece at the Proms? Did they wear the full leathers, like Lindberg?

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It was Lindberg, and yes he wore his usual leather, complemented by a kilt as it was the Proms in the Park in Glasgow.

Personally I think the Sandstrom concerto is brilliant, but best seen live. The excerpt on the telly wasn't the whole piece and it makes much more sense if you see the whole thing, it isn't really a 2D piece!

6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Leather top and a kilt - I think it was Lindberg who was playing.

7. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

If you didn't like (and I can see why not, although personally I think it's awesome) have a listen to the whole thing. The 2nd movement, Floridas Djungler (Everglades if you prefer) is soooo original and the 3rd movement, Mountain in Provence, has some wondeful choral playing.

Altogether one of the most interesting pieces ever written.:confused: :clap:

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- first time I have heard a bald headed man being called that ... ;)

Jan Sandstrom has some imaginative ideas for composition. Sensibly he works with Lindberg to write for trombone. Check out his other concerto, Don Quixote ... saw it live with Lindberg singing, dancing and telling stories. Fantastic stuff!

9. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

I caught the end of it, Lindberg is a monster player!! His technique is absolutely awesome!! And being a biker too I really enjoyed it!:tup

10. BrianT

BrianT Member

If I'd been choosing which brass highlight to show on the telly I'd have picked Alison Balsom instead of Lindberg. I realise I don't know how to listen to the more modern stuff - it doesn't seem to have any discernible tune, or any particular rhythm. It's very clever, like a dog walking on its back legs, but it's hard for me to tell whether it's just a load of random notes or not. Someone persuade me it's worth persevering with this sort of piece...

11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

maybe they thought it would add a bit of a variety? I enjoyed it more than Jerusalem...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Trombone piece
    motorbike piece
    nice piece of music
    people
    night
  13. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

As a comic turn, it really made me laugh. Was it meant to be any more than that?

14. timbloke

timbloke Member

What is wrong with that. He is a brilliant player, why shouldn't he show the world how good he is, and why not show all of those people who think the Proms and Orchestras are all about violins squeaking away to a bit of "classical" music. There is so much fantastic music out there and so much opportunity to push the musical boundaries, why should someone be criticised for it? If you want a nice piece of music there were another 100 or so concerts in the proms season to satisfy you. Alternatively if you missed them, I could put in a cheeky advert for a number of great orchestra concerts coming up in Sheffield ;)

although the only other prom I saw was a piece done in the style of a club dj with the orcestra split into three (the left and right turntables and the mixing bit in between). I think i turned over fairly quickly, not my cup of tea.

15. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Can't he show the world he's a brilliant player who plays music rather than sound effects.

16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I think he probably did that in the first few movements that weren't broadcast... or in the 30 years of being one of the world's greatest players... either way, at least he offered some variety to the night, which I'm sure was welcomed by many.

17. brassbailey

brassbailey Member

I understand the audience in the front row had a 'very good view' when Christian Lindberg started spinning on the spot and his kilt went higher!!!!!!!