trombone music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by becks164, Mar 21, 2006.

1. becks164

becks164 Member

hi guys i need your help. I am currently looking for music to do my recital for my second year at uni. i have some pieces but my music lecturer said i cant play them cause i played them four years ago. i need to find some trombone music pretty quickly. im looking for trombone and piano.

any suggestions please let me know asap
    thanks guys becks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    uni.
    trombone music
    music lecturer
    recital
    guys becks
  3. lewis

lewis Member

What standard are you?

4. becks164

becks164 Member

im grade 8 standard but would prefer grade 7 standard

5. lewis

lewis Member

There's the Rimsky-Korsakov trombone concerto (a bit twee but quite good fun), the Casterede Sonatine, Bourgeios Fantasy pices for tenor trombone, Sulek Sonata (vox gabrieli), Guilmant Concert Piece and Larsson Concertino for trombone.

That's a few suggestions around grade 7/8.

Good luck.

6. becks164

becks164 Member

thank you very much for that info. i have the rimsky and the larrs and the fantasy pieces. im using the fantasy piece for my recital so thats good but im going to look at the others.

thank you very much for your help

7. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Hi, my one of my trombone pupils recently used Saint-Saens: Cavatine and Swashbuckler's Song from Hindemith: Sonate from Trombone for a recital and competition. They are ABRSM grade 8 standard. But, the Hindemith does sound great with the intricate piano part and the melodic lines in the Saint-Saens are beautiful. Hope this is of help to you.
    (p.s - she won the competition!!! yey!!!)

8. 8th position

8th position Member

Plenty of good suggestions so far - others you might want to look at are the Gordon Jacob Concerto and Sonata (although the Sonata might be considered a little "easy" for a second year recital); Bozza - "Hommage a Bach" is a nice recital piece, as is the Ewazen Sonata - very effective, and technically the solo part isn't difficult. The Grondahl Concerto is another one you might want to consider. Take a look at one of the easier Arthur Prior solos for a bit of light relief if you've got a "heavy" program.

Have you thought about doing any unacoompanied pieces - maybe a couple of movements from one of the Bach Cello Suites, the Malcolm Arnold "Fantasy" or something like Bernstein's "Elegy for Mippy II" ?

9. el maestro

el maestro Member

Morcaeu Symphonique is grade 7/8 standard and sounds great!

10. chizzum

chizzum Member

the acrobat is easy to pick up!

11. 8th position

8th position Member

And just as easy to put down again! :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    uni.
    trombone music
    music lecturer
    recital
    guys becks
  13. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

If you can get hold of the Trombone Concerto by Friedbald Graffe (tbn & pno edition) I would recommend it.

14. el maestro

el maestro Member

It's only grade 6 though........

15. lewis

lewis Member

At the end of the day it's a recital now an exam (although I know it is) so it doesn't matter how hard the music is. I've heard Ian Bousfield play the simpliest arrangement of a song in a recital and it couldn't have been more than grade 5 standard but it was beautiful.

Unlike brass band contests, recitals (even those that are getting marked) are about giving a truley musical performance. ;)

16. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

Andante et Allegro - Barat
    Sonatina (not the concerto) - Serocki

17. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

actually, it is only Grade 5 (Guildhall)

18. i would have said grade 3 actually, i was playing it in my early teens in my local junior band, it aint hard!

if you want a decent challenge, try gordon langfords rhapsody for trombone

19. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

hey Becky! Hope all is well at uni.

I did Elegy for Mippy in my second year at uni, and I loved it, still do actually. Would still play it if I was a tenor trom player!

Good luck with your recital. I'm sure it'll go great!

Charlie. X

20. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Lots of good suggestions. I like the Sulek Sonata vox Gabrieli, but you need very large lungs for it. Gordon Jacob Concertino is nice and playable and works very well with piano.

For showing off at that standard, the Guilmant Morceau Symphonique is tried and tested standard!

Have fun!

21. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Fantaisie by Stojovski(?) is a nice piece, with a killer ending... I'd recommend it if you can find it.

22. becks164

becks164 Member

heyt guys thank you very much for all of your suggestions, at the moment i have ordered the sonata for trombone swashbucklers song by hindemit!!! which ive managed to listen to and sounds very good.

thank you again for all you rsuggestions, what would i do without you all lol. hey charlie hope all is well for you.
    thank you again guys x x x x