Trombone Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ScrapingtheBottom, Mar 8, 2004.

1. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

thought I'd probe some minds about this.

I've been playing bass trom for a while, but have moved back to tenor at the behest of the band. I'm having trouble 'fitting' my embouchre into a tenor mouthpiece (I currently use a Denis Wick 5BS on my strange dual bore conn 52H). I was wondering if anyone knew of any mouthpiece ranges that do a larger diameter than normal?

2. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I think the biggest you will find is the Wick 4AY - designed for small bore (Japanese) Euphs.

Other than this you have a couple of options - get one specially made (expensive) or use a reducer on a large bore mouthpiece (not great as it affects tuning).
  3. ScrapingtheBottom

Hopefully my band will be getting me a proper symphonic bore trombone (sold mine to buy my bass!). I'll keep having a look though.
  4. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I use a 4BS, it fits in with the mouthpiece I play on my euph. It's larger than the 5BS but not by a huge amount. Might be worth looking into it as it's commonly available.
  5. ScrapingtheBottom

Cheers, I'm trying to look of something with a larger rim, but not necessarily a larger cup (getting those top D's isn't so easy as it is!). I was wondering how vinny B's compare with DW on rim size?
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

DWs generally have wider rims than VBs, I think I'm right in saying.

7. groovy

groovy Active Member

This may be of little help, but I'm using a Vincent-Bach 6 1/2 A on my Conn, and I fing the high notes are a breeze on that! Its quite a narrow rim though.