Trombone Feature pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hells Bones, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hey Guys!!!

I wanna know of some Trombone section features because we only have one and I don't really like it. That one is Frolic for Trombones.

We are thinking of doing the Sister Act one but havn't got hold of the parts, are there any others about that are fun to play and challenging?

HB

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Never Give Up
    Trombone Feature
    Its Allright
    The Delph Band Trombone Quartet
    Bunnymonster
  3. NAS

NAS Member

The trom features I can think of are...

Blades Of Toledo, Spanish Trombones (Obrasso), Variations In Blue (Obrasso), Trombone Vespers (Salvation Army), Recipe For Making Love, Its Not Unusual (Not sure who published the last two), Its Alright (On the 'Grimethorpe' CD), 76 Trombones...

Theres a few to go on with:)

4. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Cool, anything likely to be in either the Delph Band or Black Dyke band libraries?

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

Go for "I Will Follow Him".. it's ace! :)

6. NAS

NAS Member

Not sure, mabye 'Blades Of Toledo' might be the best bet. Spanish Trombones was the last feature I played on the YABB USA tour a few years ago and it always went down well.

7. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

Try Temptresses for Trombones... wicked piece. =)

8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Very different from some of the titles suggested but I remember hearing a live recording of the ISB on a tour of N.America -the trombone section played "The Swan" - it was sublime.

9. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

From the sublime to the ridiculous as they say, you could always have a look at Lassus Trombone, or Gordon Langford's arrangement of The Irish Washerwoman. The last one was recorded by Black Dyke, so might still be in their library ;)

10. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Sad and Blue by Alan Fernie is good and not really sad at all. Trombola, though rather old is still fun to do too.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There are many trombone features in the SA repertoire, including several by Steve Bulla and Ray Steadman-Allen, although they are often written for four or five players.

Unfortunately there only seem to be two listed on the worldofbrass website:

William Broughton: Glory Be! (quartet)
    http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/sps125sm.html

Ray Steadman-Allen: Trombone vespers
    http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/sps132sm.html

Amongst those not listed are Steve Bulla's "Peace like a River", with brief solos for each player, and RS-A's "Peter, James & John" - dead easy, but quite a crowd pleaser.

You may also want to consider one of the double quartets, such as Eric Ball's "Never Give Up". There's also one by Dudley Bright, but its name escapes me at the moment.

"Panis Angelicus" works well, but I can't remember who's arranged it.

Another one we have used successfully in the past is the cornet trio "The Veterans".

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Never Give Up
    Trombone Feature
    Its Allright
    The Delph Band Trombone Quartet
    Bunnymonster
  13. Texus

Texus Member

If you're feeling really brave get a copy of Bourgois' Concerto for 3 trbs - awesome.
    Also - Phil Lawrence at Elms Publishing did a Sinatra feature for 3 bones - can't remember the title but it was fun and went down well. Check him out.

14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I'm going to put on the Bourgeois in Oxford some time soon; it's getting around to persuading a decent local orchestra to give us some of their concert time that's sticking at the moment...

More realistically, Colin Bugby of Towcester band has written a couple of trombone trios with band accompaniment which are fun to play, and provide some challenge to the players as individuals, rather than the usual unvarying 'uptempo cheesy barbershop' effect. Titles are "Splat", and "Jitterbuggin' Jenny", and can be bought from this page: http://mysite.orange.co.uk/colinbugby/shopframe.htm

15. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Neil, "Its Not Unusual" is published by Elms Publishing, and was recorded by ma mates at the Scottish Co-op on their CD "By Request, Vol 2".

Another one is "My Shepherd" by Brenton Broadstock, published by SP&S, recorded on Pat Sheridan/NY Staff Band's "Blazing Brass" CD.

16. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Peter, it's called Strike for Victory.

The ISB have recently been using There is a Redeemer by Ralph Pearce, and before that From That Sacred Hill by Dick Krommenhoek.

As well as Trombone Vespers Ray Steadman-Allen has contributed Wonders Begin and Sparkling Slides to The Salvation Army Brass Band Journals.

17. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Many years ago when we played it, the piece was 'affectionately' known as "Blunders begin when the Troms come in"! It is a good piece though.

18. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

I've done a few.... they probably come into the "cheap and cheerful" bracket, but they all work, what with me being a trombonist(!), and they all go down fairly well. All are published by the mighty Obrasso.

As well as "Sad and Blue" and "Spanish Trombones" (a re-working of the "Spanish Gypsy Dance") as already mentioned, there's also a version of "Basin Street Blues" and a piece called "Rocking Trombones", which hopefully isn't as corny as the title given to it by the publishers!

I've also resurrected an old and rather hackneyed trio called the "Faithful Hussar" - I'm not sure it's any better than the original, but I have managed to shoehorn the "Radetsky March" and bits of the Rimsky-Korsakov concerto into it!

Finally, look out for the "Old Rugged Cross" - this is a pretty heavy trombone feature, and has recently appeared on a new Obrasso cd from Brighouse, which'll no doubt get a healthy slagging somewhere along the line. I did this particular tune with Kingdom Brass's rather "old and rugged" trombone section at Troon a year or so back, and perhaps it's the only brass band piece with the tempo indication "Bluesy Doo-Wop"!!

19. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That's a good one

20. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

HI, You could always arrange something, OR......
    Theres a great arrangement of 'Fly me to the moon' for 3 trombones and big band. A slight bit of Re-orchestration and it would work great.

21. bbg

bbg Member

Heard the "Old Rugged Cross" featured by Kingdom a year or two back during their mini-concert before the results at Carnegie - probably at the Fife Charities contest, and our MD likes it and wanted it! Is it actually published yet, Mr Fernie?

22. Bunnymonster

Bunnymonster Member

"Its Allright" for three trombones and band is good. There is also "Never Give Up" by Eric Ball - its a bit more complicated as its written for trombone quartet and cornet quartet, but it is fab!