Trombone cases

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Colin D, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Colin D

Colin D Member

I'm looking to purchase a new hard case for my Edwards tenor trombone, 8.5 inch bell and currently no trigger fitted. I think the Edwards cases are priced at £300, I was wondering what experience anybody had had with cheaper cases on the market?

Colin

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Edwards
    Colin
    Edwards tenor trombone
    Edwards cases
    Trombone cases
  3. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

Hi Colin,

I have an MB case, which was supplied by The Valve.

http://www.mbcases.com.br/produto.php?cod_cat=23&cod_prod=41&lang=eng

It's had a real hammering, but it holds tons, the pads inside are moveable, there are straps for attaching a trombone or music stand.

I've even managed to get my son's swimming kit (plus big Darth Maul towel!) in the side pocket.

Chris.

4. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I have a Pro Tec case with my Edwards and its certainly managed to soak up some hammer over the years. If you do a search on the net, you will be able to pick one up for about £120. I know Bill Lewington do them

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  5. Bones

Bones Member

Hi, I too have a Marcus Bonna Tenor Case. And agree with Chris it is a great case, you can also get a mute inside as well.

However, the Brighouse guys have ordered the Bass trombone cases for their tenors and In hindsight I wish I had gone for those. SLight smaller and with the moveable pads you can make anything fit.

Pricey but good.

The Protec cases are also very good, I use one on my small bore. I also have a BAM Xlite if you want something that holds a trombone and mouthpiece and nothing else. Gives enough protection.

Rich

6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I own a Pro-Tec and a Gator cases, both lightweight for my Rath and my Conn.
    For my Conn I have used the original hard case, then a gig bag (Not "GIG") because of the shoulder straps and now a Gator case.
    the Lightweight cases are great, you get the shoulder straps so your hands are free, but you also get the protectionas well, in the gig bag my Conn took a real beating. I wish I had never used it.

7. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

I use a Pro-Tec for my Rath straight Tenor - it is really good!

8. PaddySears

PaddySears Member

I have a ritter gig bag which I'm not convinced about as a long term protection but I also have a BAM case - I got mine with the bone but I've seen a few go through on tbay....

I have to say that this is the best lightweight case I've seen....

Paddy

9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Rich by name etc., etc.! Or perhaps not any more! Posh cases are so expensive at the moment, I certainly can't afford to splash out on one. However, my usual work-a-day case is a lightweight unbranded one from an ebay seller. Probably a sample from a nice Chinese man, as they are virtually identical to the ones Shawn Pagington is flogging from his Virtuosi company.

It's very light, takes most large-bore tenors (not ones with fancy valves) and has enough pockets and cubby holes for the usual clobber we carry around. It's plenty strong enough for the usual knocks and bumps and is compact enough to go in the overhead locker on an aeroplane. I can heartily recommend them, and am tempted to get another for my spare trombone (88HO).

Btw, although I used to play for GUS band, I don't have any loyalty to recommend Virtuosi, I just think these cases represent great value and quality! Can I have a free one please, Shawn?;)

10. PaddySears

PaddySears Member

Quite a bit deleted

lol

11. Colin D

Colin D Member

Thanks for all the replies on this. I'm going to save the pennies for a Marcus Bonna I think - it was the Darth Maul towel storage capacity that swung it for me!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Edwards
    Colin
    Edwards tenor trombone
    Edwards cases
    Trombone cases
  13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I know, but tools of the trade unfortunately! One for most work, one for touring, as trucks are slower than aeroplanes!

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

They are incredible, its rare I get excited about a case but they are really top notch. Better than those edwards trombones hey Rich!?!?

Marcus Bonna all the way (albeit to a rather large debt!).

15. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

Good choice - the dark side isn't to be trifled with!

16. i use a Protec case for my Rath bass trom, i is really protective and quite lightweight but is a little bulky

17. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

MB and BAM (the newer ones, the early ones were hit or miss) are great. Last case you will buy. But they cost more than some people spend on their bones!

ProTec is right up there and a lot less expensive. The leather case is very nice and still cheaper!

BTW, if you have trouble locating them in the UK or Europe, www.slidebone.com carries all three. Irvin, is a professional bone player in New York, very knowledgeable and a great guy if you need a store recommendation.

Jim

18. blittle

blittle New Member

19. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

20. andreab

andreab Member

Has anyone had problems with zips on ProTec (or other zipped) trombone cases? The zip on my son's case has broken where it's taken a bit of a battering through regular wear and tear on the corner. The instrument is still well protected but he has to take care to only fasten the zip part way, or else it'll stick - closed! I don't know whether to risk hanging on to this one and hoping it doesn't get stuck at a crucial time, or replace it and risk spending the money and having the same problem.

21. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Zippers are zippers. They are tough going around curves. For the 5 years I owned my store I never had a zipper or a ProTec fail me. But I have and to replace zippers on coats, sleeping bags, etc.

I think you have a third option. Anyone who does alterations will often install zippers. Have a new zipper put in. My guess (and I am in the US, so it is different) that the cost would be reasonable.

Jim

22. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

nice to see you back Doc :)