Trombone accessory advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jrshimmon, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

I'm looking for some advice on trombone accessories. I'm playing trombone at the moment, although I'm not very good at it, but I was landed with it in band just over a year ago. The instrument I've been given is a bit of a state to be honest, with a lot of problems that a decent service should fix, but one thing a service won't fix is that the laquer is worn off, just where you hold it with your left hand- result, a green hand! Does anyone know where (in the uk) I can get hold of something to protect this area? I'm looking for different suggestions if possible, as I'd rather not just settle for the first thing I find!

Thanks in advance for your help!

(I'm actually Corrine not John, just to let you know! I'm the one with the brains!;))
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Unfortunately, all the hand guards and grips that I know of are from America and are ****** expensive to get shipped over.

If you speak to Chris at, tell them exactly what you need and they will do what they can to get hold of one for you.

What kind of Trom do you have?
  3. Dick Bone

Dick Bone New Member

I was advised at college to paint the unlaquered area with clear nail varnish. That did the trick but be careful not to handle it too soon afterwards!!
  4. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Great idea! I was about to suggest buying some cotton gloves! That way it's not your hands that get the green stuff, but the nail varnish could be the winner.
  5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Buy some soap :biggrin:
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

A glove seems like the obvious solution.
  7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I've seen a couple of people use bike handlebar tape...
  8. The clear nail polish will do it. A can of clear lacquer will do the same. It's best to clean the area first.
  9. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

I use black insulation tape on my slide, just dont get carried away like a trom player I knew who did the Bousfield thing and put it up his bell to darken his sound. Changed his mind some time after and ripped all the lacquer off trying to remove it!
  10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

A good repairer will do a re-laquer and it's not as pricey as you'd think. Had a slide section serviced and re laquered for around 120.00 pounds just before christmas. that was pulled apart, Straightened, re soldered and laquered. just a re laquer would be cheaper.
  11. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

The problem is, that as I said, it's not my instrument, but the bands (Salvation Army) so I can't just do anything I like to the instrument, and they can't afford to have any work done on it- I'll have to pay for the service as it is, which I can't afford. I need something cheap but removable- and I'm not sure a glove would go down well with the uniform- especially during summer!

Thanks for all your suggestions so far though!
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Clingfilm? It's cheap, will protect and can easily be removed!
  13. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

Go for the black electrcians insulation tape, or if your feeling brave you could try a jazzy 'red/yellow/blue' stripe effect with the tape, that would be quite apt.

I've used that method before and know lots of other players that have also.
  14. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

Clingfilm? Wow, I never thought of that.....
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Someone had to! :rolleyes: It's thin, protective and when removed, leaves the surface intact.
  16. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Drumstick tape is a good choice. It goes on easily, and if you do not buy the real cheap stuff, comes off very easily. I like it -- has a cushioned feel unlike electrical tape. Cling wrap would stick to my hands in the summer.