tromb feature

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by satchmo shaz, Oct 15, 2003.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

hi guys, can anyone tell me about the tromb feature I will follow him, who published it etc thanks shaz
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

The one we've got is arranged by Goff Richards and it says 'featuring Trombones and Flugel Horn' - can't remember much for Flugel to do though! :roll:
  3. timbloke

timbloke Member

i know it is arranged by Goff. it is a really good arrangement, we played it on tour last month, and it went down really well with the crowds and the band.
  4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

sounds interesting... compared to the version of i will follow him i've played before where the trombones get nothing more interesting than quavers on a C
  5. timbloke

timbloke Member

indeed it is good. each trombone part gets an improv bit (although we never actually improved). and yes it does say trombs and flugel, which is strange cos the flugel doesn't get much, well not compared to the trombs.
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As long as you didn't get worse :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh dear oh dear!!!! I thought that my joked were bad! (also a former BBb bass player, maybe it is something to so with that?

I have played with a few bands. Not a bad piece at all. Always use to pick up my enthusiasm after an hour or so of the usual summer concert program. Things are a bit different now that I pay for Granite City Brass under David James. Every piece that we play is demanding in some way or another: never relax for a minute.

It is one of the better trombone trios, but saying that there are not that many of them. There can me a bit if a problem if one of the trombones is not as strong as the others, though. (was that diplomatic enough?): you can end up with gaps where there should be a melodic line.

Are there any other decent trios out there: perhaps a bit slower and more slushy, with good three part harmonies between the trombones?

8. PeterBale

Have you come across "Sad and Blue" by Alan Fernie (Obrasso)? Not played it, but heard it played by Cory's on "The Glory of Cory" and think it might fit the bill.
  9. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

I have composed a couple of trombone trio's that are not too difficult:

Slides in Swingtime available from

Sparkling Slides (Jazz waltz) available from

Some years ago I arranged a trombone trio called Tired Trombones composed by Charlie Chester available from Studio Music.

10. satchmo shaz

we have slides and we think its great! :wink:
  11. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

It goes too high for the troms apparently, so flugal takes over for a phrase, but it's a good arrangement.
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

too high for the trombones? is there such a note?

speaking as a bass trombonist, yes there is!

Approx high D (way above the bass clef!) :shock:
  14. BassTromBeast

BassTromBeast New Member

Oh I don't know. If I take out the 1G mouthpiece and replace it with the 2G then I can squeeze out a high F on a good day. A good day being one where I've not had a curry the night before. Don't want to squeeze too much on those occasions. :lol:

I guess that you just have to squeeze all cheeks and blow! :oops: :D
  16. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Speaking as a tenor trombonist.

It's extremely comfortable and a nice easy blow for most bone players (Good when you can make it up in the middle too)
  17. PeterBale

When we do the Henry Wood Sea Songs at our Last Night of the Proms evenings, we normally use the flugel for the top part of the trombone quartet, although I reckon our usual top trom could play it - not sure whether it was originally intended to be played on an alto, though :lol:
  18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I remember playing that in an orchestra bit, and the trombone choiry bit was all on tenors. Need a good warm up first though!
  19. trombelle

trombelle Member

im sure im being very dense here :oops: .....but is "i will follow him" on the film sister act??
    i know, daft, uneducated and a trombone future!
  20. satchmo shaz

thats the one!! fine arrangement it is too :wink: