Trivia! How tall is tall?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Mar 31, 2006.

?

How Tall Are You?

1. Teenagers: Under 5' 8"

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. Tennagers: 5' 8" to 6'

10 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Teenagers: Over 6'

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Twenties: Under 5' 8"

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Twenties: 5' 8" to 6'

9 vote(s)
    10.2%
  6. Twenties: Over 6'

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Thirties: Under 5' 8"

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  8. Thirties: 5' 8" to 6'

11 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Thirties: Over 6'

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  10. Forties: Under 5' 8"

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  11. Forties: 5' 8" to 6'

9 vote(s)
    10.2%
  12. Forties: Over 6'

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  13. 50+: Under 5' 8"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 50+: 5'8 to 6'

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  15. 50+: Over 6'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Has anyone else noticed the 'height boom'? As a fairly tall person myself, I always remember being the 'odd one out' at school. Standing at 5' 11", I used to tower above both boys and girls. I remember how I used to hate this! I used to get called names such as 'lanky' and would often stoop to try and 'fit in' more. High heels were definitely out and it wasn't until another girl came to my school (who became a really good friend) who was a bit taller than me that I started to feel a bit more secure about my height. Another problem was buying clothes! 'Off the peg' trousers were a definite no no!

However, as I now work in and around schools, and have lots of contact with young people, I find it really strange. With the height of some of the kids even I don't feel tall anymore!

I thought it would be really interesting to try and do a poll to find out if being considered 'tall' is now at a different height than it was 20 years ago.

I've split the poll categories into different age groups to see if the 'average' has increased over the years.

Edit: For those of you who are 100% metric now, sorry, I'm an 'oldie'!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    different height
    contact
    different age groups
    good friend
    fairly tall person
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'm 1m80 (6'), and I think that's about average compared to most men I know, I think you have to be at least 1m90 (6'4") to be considered "tall"... For women the average heights will be a little lower then for the men I guess.

Another story: I've just returned from Japan for a business trip, and I had to buy a new shirt (the plane company lost my luggage *sigh*), and I had to get the biggest shirt size they hed in the store... :D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  4. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

As a 5'4" 11-year-old I was considered ginormous by most of my peers. However, I never grew another inch until I was 31 and am now considered practically a midget by nearly everyone. I still stoop occasionally and if by chance I do meet someone smaller than me I revert back to "lanky gawky teenager" which is no fun at all. I work in a 6th Form College library and find some of the lads a bit intimidating. It's hard to send someone out of the library for causing a disturbance when you barely reach his armpit.

I'm the smallest of all my siblings and since I'm older than them by 6 years, 8 years and 11 years I think the height boom is a definite reality.

The tallest woman I ever met was 6'6" and she wore heels to go with it. She shared our house for a while and we called her the Valkyrie. She would reach things down from kitchen shelves for me that I couldn't reach even standing on a chair...
    BMB
    xx

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

About 5'10" I think! :?

6. gawber

gawber Active Member

I think the generations are getting taller.

I am 5' 6" but my mum was only 5'.
    At 5' 10" my husband is taller than both his parents.
    At 6' 2" my 18 year old son is taller than both of us.
    And my 15 year old is now taller than me and soon to overtake his father.

7. persins

persins Member

I definitely think people are getting taller through the generations.

I used to think I was really short but then as I got older, I knew it!!!!!

Actually, I'm not that short compared to the official average but I think that is out of date!!! I'm about 5' 7".

8. Key2207

Key2207 Member

I'm 5"6ish. My mum is small (5"1) and my nan is even smaller (4 ft something)!! lol! My sister is quite small too, but my brother is 14 and 5"7.:p

9. Jamie

Jamie Member

I don't know what tall is... I don't know what average is... All I know is that I've got a permanent stiff neck... & I'm a measly 5 foot!

10. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

5'2" here and I am shorter than most people.

11. 1alexm

1alexm Member

how tall is tall?....... the answer is........very

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    different height
    contact
    different age groups
    good friend
    fairly tall person
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- yup! that's my definition of 'tall' ... anyone that you have to turn your head upwards to look them in the face! :p

14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I'm 6'3" and I definitely think the average height of the nation has increased. Alas, nobody has seen fit to increase standard legroom sizes on trains, buses, in cinemas, theatres..... Its discrimination.

15. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

My wife and I are both about 5" 10" but our seventeen year old son, who is still growing, currently stands tall at 6' 6".

When he surpassed me in height, I admonished him with "Just because you're now taller than me doesn't mean you can stop looking up to me" and, for the most part he hasn't :)

16. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

I'm 6'5" myself... and I feel a little weird when I'm around people that are actually taller than me - which doesn't happen often though. :D

17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

And most Hobbits. ;)

18. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I don't have this problem -I am 6'1" and I have always been around people who are similar height or taller (my Dad is 6'4"), so never considered myself tall - it was only when I left for university that I started to realise that 6' is not a normal height.
    My Uncle is 6'8" (yes, I feel short around him) but lived in the same area as the tallest man in Britain (at one stage) - my uncle would get looks about his height, until he was next to this other guy, then he felt small (the other guy was over 7'). He actually quite enjoyed it - it took the attention away from him.

19. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Apparently I'm tall - people keep telling me that anyway! (I'm 5' 10" I think...shorter than my dad, taller than my mum...) But I have a lot of tall friends so I don't notice it as much!

The real problem for me is buying trousers...I could never get a pair of decent fitting trousers until recently!

On that note I'd like to tell you about my new band trousers - from Topshop, size 10, 36" leg. They're amazing, best investment so far this year, and I wasn't even looking for them at the time :clap::biggrin::biggrin:!!!

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I am 5ft 9in almost.
    The one bloke at our works is 6ft 5 thats reasonably tall

21. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Make that the developed world, Colin.

Since the 'last' generation, there has been more and more education about feeding children the right kinds of foods, leading healthier lifestyles and that in turn promotes healthy growth in young people.

I completely agree about the buses - the newest single deckers running locally have miniscule seats, and even sitting across two seats does not afford an adequate amount of leg room. Of course, the ceilings are so low that it is uncomfortable standing on them once you're much past the driver's cab....

My children will probably be about 8 ft by the time they're 17...

22. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Will.............. Nina is tiny so they couldn't possibly be over 8 ft. Maybe 7!!!!!

Anything above 5' 2" is tall :tongue: Well, it is to me!!!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006