Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by katej, Apr 9, 2004.

1. katej

katej Member

Anyone know where I can get a recording of triptych? We're playing it at mo but I want to hear what other bands make it sound like. I'd also like peoples opinions on it. I quite like it, having has a bash at 2nd cornet, solo cornet and now rep am interested in others viewa.
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

I love that piece!!! Shame it's too easy for our section :(
  3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

You can get a recording of it here:

As far as the piece itself is concerned I think it's fantastic - especially the second movement. Absolutely beautiful.
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

THat's a great CD!!
  5. katej

katej Member

thankyou for the replys and the link. What section is it realisticly? I was told that it was a 1st section testpiece but has that now changed?
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Definitely not 1st section :D I played it some years ago in the 3rd section, so I would guess its still a 3rd section / hard 4th section piece.

It's a great piece though - Phillip Sparke at his best :)
  7. Salli

Salli Member

Hi Katie

I'm really pleased to see you're playing again :D

Yes, Triptych was definitely used for the 3rd section. We played it at Jackfield a few years back.
  8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Possibly having a blonde moment here, but WHICH Triptych are you talking about?!
  9. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

The one by Philip Sparke.
  10. katej

katej Member

Hi Salli
    Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the info. Are you going to Buxton?
    Kate :D
  11. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

Yorkshire Imperial - Endeavour

Its defo on that!
  12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Katej,

Triptych is a fantastic piece of music, and I'd say is realistically placed as a moderate 3rd section test piece or a hard(ish) 4th section test piece.

The central section is extremely emotional, and anyone who can write a significant section of a piece based on a fantasy on one note is very talented. Mr. PS certainly did a great job on this one. If I remember correctly, a G is played on one or more instruments all the way through that section... and it sounds totally fantastic.

Go for it, you'll love it I'm certain...:)
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Fantasy on One Note

Mr. Burns!
  14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

:wink: cheers Mr BB.. long time since I conducted it!
  15. HBB

HBB Active Member

S'ok... Will forgive you this time, as it's such a cool piece!
  16. katej

katej Member

Thankyou John. I do like it, I think its fantastic I just want to hear it played by another band.