Triple Tonguing

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Euphliz, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Euphliz

Euphliz New Member

I know i have asked this several times before, but has anyone got any advice on triple tonguing as i really havnt grasped it yet and i need to before the areas!!!

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Try practising triple tonguing slowly to gain control, making sure that the notes are equally timed and weighted. Then begin moving off a single note, either chromatically or using scales. Advance to arpeggios or mixed intervals to increase flexability. Also, instead of using the traditional tu-tu-ku, also try to use tu-ku-tu as a variation of the combination. Mix triple tonguing with other note values to maintain their timing. Gradually learn to control the speed of the triples so they can be played at various tempi. I'm sure other tMPers will offer other tips that are useful.
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Yes. :) Most people assume that multiple tonguing must go fast, and try to go far too quickly at first. Master the technique first and then go for speed.

You may want to use a metronome so that you can make sure that your speed is constant. Pick a speed at which you can execute the triple tongue (whichever pattern you use) consistently and then jack up the speed gradually (also works to increase single-tonguing speed). You'll eventually want to practise without the metronome also (since you probably won't have one in performance :) ).
  4. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Aye, I can echo all of the above... using a metronome to start slowly and then build the speed... exercises from the Arban are useful...

It sounds silly but when you're driving.. or walking the dog.. or somewhere on your own (!) just get your tongue used to the movements of tutuku or tukutu, say them over and over again and eventually you will find that the syllables will roll off the tongue. It may take a lot of brain power to start with (it did with me anyway).. but it pays off.

Once i seriously decided it was time for me to be able to triple tongue, I managed it in one or two weeks... just determination and perseverence really!

Good Luck

TuTuKu xx
  5. bennem

bennem Member

Just take your time is the main tip I will give. You need to start slowly and you will be frustrated that your triple tonguing will be slower than you can single tongue.

Practice TuTuKu and TuKuTu any where and at any time. Boring meetings/class/lecture a bit of quiet triple tonguing makes the minutes fly by, watching the adverts on TV do some triple tonguing see if you can make it through a whole advert without getting the sylables mixed up.

Triple tonguing on a single note is relatively easy in my opinion. I haven't got the hang of moving triplets yet. Basic lack of coordination I think.

Good luck
  6. Euphliz

Euphliz New Member

Thanks for all the help.

I'll try and put it into practice!

Thanks again!:D
  7. Bob Stevenson

Bob Stevenson Member

All of the above is excellent advice,........

the difficult part for most people is the 'Ku' syllable so it pays to practise this on its own a bit,...its useful to play simple tunes with just the 'Ku' articulation off the middle of the tongue,...quite difficult to do at first but this will also give you 'double tonguing' as well!

As 'TuTuKu' said you need to practise the syllables somewhere private!.......I used to use the London Underground (?!)...when the train got out to the suburbs and had few passengers I could get really into it out loud, day I had my eyes closed to really concentrate on getting the tonguing right,...when I opened my eyes there were two old ladies sat in petrified amazment across the carriage!
  8. didjeeman

didjeeman New Member

The way I practise it is to make the "tu" and "ku" sounding similar and all very slowly. And I don't pronounce "tu" or "ku" but "du" and "gu" because tu and ku can cut the air going through your lips. If you want a clear and fluid tonguing, air is the most important as it supports your sound and guide your tongue. Practising slowly allows your brain to assimillate how it works so when you will play fast your brain will know instructions to give.
    good luck. :D