TRIPLE TONGEUING... HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by skweeky, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skweeky

skweeky Member

i can triple tongue maybe 1 or 2 sets of triplets but then i trip up. :cry:

are there any people who were like me (15 yr old) who couldnt quite do it but with practise they finally mastered it?? Because every1 ive spoken to so far said it just came naturally and others just cant do it at all

please help!! :lol:

2. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

Sorry to be boring but it's that hated word again - begins with P and ends in ractise...

Personally, I suffered from exactly what you describe, but i eventually got it by doing:

ttk ttk t, ttk ttk t, ttk ttk t etc.... then:
    ttk ttk ttk t, ttk ttk ttk t, ttk ttk ttk t etc... then (guess what?!):
    ttk ttk ttk ttk t, ttk ttk ttk ttk t etc, with a pulse on the bold letters, but without trying to think of each individual articulation.

3. amgray

amgray Member

I struggled with triple tonguing (on trombone) until I needed it for Harmony Music at the age of 28 so don't worry!!!!!

Spend a couple of weeks with the Arban tripling exercises, trying either T-T-K or D-D-G VERY SLOWLY (i.e 60 bpm) for the first week. Don't be tempted to speed up until the action is very relaxed, doesn't splutter on the third note and speaks easily and evenly.
    Gradually increase the tempo from the second week on - use a metronome if possible to control the natural urge to 'go for it'.

Spend c.20 mins per day, everyday, on just this for a fortnight and you should find that it eases the problem.

Best of luck!!

4. skweeky

skweeky Member

thanks alot :lol: i just didnt want to waste time practising if i knew it would come to no good so thanks i can dig out my practise stand.
    cheers :p

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.