Trinty grade 8

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lloydmcwalters, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Are trinty exams held as highly as abrsm , because i wanna do my gade 8 in the summer so i can get 70 ucas points under my belt , but someone told me that apart from ucas they arent recognised as a 'proper' grade 8

Has anyone done/had any experience with the validity of these exams ?
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I have Trinity Grade 8 distinction in Saxophone....

Trinity aren't as "well-known" as ABRSM, but it is still a recognised examination board... many people take their exams with them... It's very much a "proper" grade 8!!
  3. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

"The points shown for ABRSM, Guildhall, LCMM and Trinity music examinations, grades 6, 7 and 8. Rockschool’s music awards will come into the Tariff for 2005 entry"

taken from ucas itself.

a pass at grade 8 is 50 points, Merit is 75 and a distinction is 75. But that only applies to ABRSM, i suppose high honours/honours applies to Distinction.

Some uni's don't want to know about it unless you're doing Music.
  4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Trinity Exams are held in the same esteem by the majority of people as the other boards. The people who say that ABRSM are the only exams worth having tend to have some sort of association with that institution, in my experience.

Personally I use the Guildhall Scheme (about to become Trinity-Guildhall) so that my students are examined by someone who actually plays and understands the specific difficulties of brass playing. I have heard (and experienced) a number of incidents with ABRSM examiners where it was blatantly obvious that the examiner knew nothing about either the instrument nor the repertoire being played.

Grade 8 is Grade 8 - if anyone says ABRSM Grade 8 is superior, they either know nothing about it, have a vested interest in ABRSM or are just plain wrong.