Triggers, saddles and rings

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Here's question, why do cornets, especially the more expensive models, tend to use sprung triggers, whereas even the most expensive trumpets tend to have "manual" saddles or rings to move their tuning slides?

2. lmf

lmf New Member

Cornet slide triggers

Convenience? :clap:

Best wishes.

3. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I asked my local friendly brass repair man about this, because I used to love having triggers on my cornet and wanted a trigger on my trumpet as well. Apparently, because the tubing is closer together on a trumpet (the top of it is closer to the bottom if you see what I mean), it's harder to fit a trigger that would work properly because it needs a certain amount of space.
  4. skweeky

skweeky Member

You can also find that many "Expensive" trumpets have no little nibs on the 2nd valve slide, no waterkey etc....

A Good trumpet can often look like the cheapest trumpet but getting rid of all these "unnecessary" (personaly i like my waterkeys and triggers) accessories, the air moves through less interrupted and therefore a better sound.

This post probably doesn't answer your question as to why a trigger isn't used yet a ring still is, but all i can think of is the unnecessary accessories argument.