Trendy Glasses and seeing the conductor

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigcol, Feb 20, 2005.

1. bigcol

bigcol Member

You know how the trend for glasses now is to have them small and round a la Harry Potter? Well I got some new glasses a while back, and I was discussing with a fellow glasses wearer how difficult it was to see the conductor.

The reason is that there is only a small amount of glass, so you can't see out of the corner of your eye or to the side, especially if you are as blind as I am.

Anyone else had this problem? Anyone go the the lengths of having a pair of specs just for band which are big and huge a la Deidre from Corrie?

:cool:

2. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Contacts?

3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I had this problem constantly. Unfortunately I can't wear lenses cos my eyes are so bad and I've also got a bump on one cornea.

My opticians spent years persuading me to get smaller frames. I admit my original styles tended to make me look owlish, but at least I could see the conductor and the music.

Eventually, I gave in when I got so bad that the glass in each lens was heavy enough to leave marks on my face.:eek:

At about this time, I also had to start having reading :eek: glasses, so I used to have two pairs, but again, as my eyes keep getting worse It became almost impossible to see either the music or the conductor, never mind both. And all the time the frames are getting smaller. And then - varifocals. Although I like the idea, when your lenses are so small that you need your glasses on to find your glasses, it's no good.

I finally put my foot down this year. If I'm paying nearly £400 for glasses I think I can damn well have as big lenses as I want so I deliberately chose large frames this time. I could see the girl blanch when she saw this and she made a valiant effort to dissuade me, but I can be determined when I want to be. :mad:

So now I can see the music and I can see the conductor - both clearly and both at the same time. Bugger fashion. You need to be able to function.

4. SLTP

SLTP New Member

we can all wear trendy glasses! but it depends in what sense you mean by seeing the conductor! not all of us have such privileges :p

5. mikelyons

At least if you can see him/her, you can make an informed choice about whether to follow him or not! ;)

6. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

If you are the conductor, what difference does it make, apart from the fact that you can't see if anyone is actually looking in your general direction. Always said that if you take away one stick from a percussionist you're left with a conductor. :wink:

7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Yes I have this problem, but it does seem to depend very much on the style of the specs. My previous pair were tiny gold-framed things, but they sat high up on my nose, thus enabling me to see the conductor. My current ones are very slightly bigger but being heavier, sit further down my nose (which is not of the largest), forcing me to peer over them to see the conductor.
    I've worn glasses for most of my playing life, and it's the thing that makes me regret those enormous Dame Edna Everage binns we used to wear in the '80s.

I will not be buying a pair of deeply unflattering specs just to massage the conductor's ego by looking at him.
    BMB
    xx

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

This is a very annoying trend in glasses design. The options I can see are;
    1 - ignore fashion-style glasses,
    2 - Ignore the conductor,
    3 - Sit in one of the seats where you are facing the conductor, rather than having to see them out of the corner of your eye.

9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

But he is the conductor or so his sig says.

10. mikelyons

And your point is...?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    amount
    trend
    wearer
    glasses
    glass
  12. bigcol

bigcol Member

Actually I'm seeing this from a players point of view.

We have a pro in for the Nationals (Ducan Beckley) and I'm playing bass for the first time in about a year at a contest, hence why I've discovered this.

13. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

well if he is the conductor he dusnt need to see the conductor does he seeing as its him an he'd have to look in a mirror anyway.

14. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Ah right :oops:
    Can you wear contacts?cost alot though but apparantly you can get ones that last for 6 months and you just wear them when you have to my cousin got some for when he plays football an stuff.

15. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Sorry, going to bore you all now! It's my job!!!! (see profile etc!!)

Quite often I dispense spectacles purely for music & other such task related reasons!

The fashion was for smaller frames BUT they're starting to go bigger!! (Oh no!!) Sometimes, purely going for bigger lenses doesn't work but if it has for you mike, good!

Yonhee, contact lenses aren't always the way to go. Especially when concentrating on music. You don't blink as much so the lenses can dry out a little. No contact lens lasts for 6 months. Or if it does, its been introduced while I've been off work!

Had a guy who once brought his cornet in so he could be tested at the working distance of when he was on the march!! Needed them for Whit Friday & was most impressed when I knew exactly what he was going on about.

My advice to anyone.... seek the advice of a fully qualified Dispensing Optician, not someone who's been selling spex for 2 weeks & was packaging frozen chickens the week before!!

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

My problem with glasses is slightly different: I've only needed spectacles for the past couple of years, and only for reading. Because I often need to move quickly from reading to looking straight at people coming in and out of the building, I tend to go for small lenses and frames, so that I can look over the glasses as necessary.

Most of the time this does not present too much of a problem at band, as I can usually see the bandmaster over the tope of the glasses and the music through them, although I do sometimes hae to adjust to see the top of the page clearly. What I do find difficult at the moment is playing on the march, when I often have to place the spectacles uncomfortably high on the bridge of the nose to read the card properly.

17. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

hmm well i've worn glasses since i was four so let's see if i can help any...

well first off i dont think contact lenses are the way to go. my friend phil has the expensive acuvue ones that supposedly are wetter than others, but he still has trouble with them - they make everything go wibbly! i tried monthly ones for a while, only £15 a month and they werent bad but i couldnt play for toffee in them, the music just looked really blurry and i couldnt focus that close to. so anyway im sure there are people out there who have good experiences with them but personally i just dont think theyre reliable enough for band!

i think in glasses it's mostly it's a question of getting used to seeing the movement, not the stick - as in, i might not clearly see the point of the stick, but i can see the rhythmic movement and if i get my listening right it all fits together nicely. i tend to either look over the rims or, if its a bit i know pretty well, look straight at the conductor and ignore the music - the only problem is if the rims are actually in the way. ive never tried larger glasses but i dont think itd help all that much. and yes my prescription is strong!

actually, the main problem i have with seeing the conductor is the way round we sit - euphs on his right hand, and he step in toward the horns a lot,which means i pretty much have to face into the band to be able to see him. tis annoying, hehe.

anyway best of luck finding out what works for you :)
    xx

18. Oooh i never realised this was such problem for people. I accidently ripped my contact lense last weekend and so have been wearing my glasses all week. I didnt realise how much i watch the conductor until i couldn't see him( not always a bad thing!) and i sit on the front row, i am truly blind. Anyway i definately think contact lenses are the way forward in this case as long as you blink enough so they dont go all blurry!

Han xx

19. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

You need a pair specifically for the job required! Its amazing how many people have, for example, shoes for every day, some for going out, some for walking etc , but when it comes to spex, expect the one pair to do everything. Unfortunately, as we get older this is not the case. Pity you don't live up in t'north Peter. I'd sort your problem out no worries!

Like I said before, consult your local friendly dispensing optician. They should be able to halp solve any problems you have!

[​IMG]

20. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Are you on commission? I have one pair, and back up contacts, as opposed to the other way around. I need a new pair, but given that I wore my last set of frames for ooo about 9 years, there should be some wear left in these babys for a while yet... Course, they don't make them as solid as they used to. I used to able to sit on my last pair with no appreciable damage.* I get the impression that gently laying my posterior on these frames would be rather expensive...

*well, I could bend them back into shape :oops:

21. mikelyons

I had a pair like that when I was in the army! They were intended for use inside gas masks! You could actually roll the arms up in a spring-like coil.:cool:

Besides which, at your age you'd probably crack the lenses! ;) :p

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    amount
    trend
    wearer
    glasses
    glass