Tree surgery/trimming: any experts out there please?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 30, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

[imgleft][/imgleft]Hi All

Just wondering if we have any tree experts in tMP land who may be able to offer me some advice as to what to do with one of my rather large conifers.

I have a large conifer (not sure which model!!) right on the corner of the front of my house, that is now probably I'd say about 25' tall. The height I have no worries about, but it is spreading in girth and has started to block the sunlight to the new double glazed bay window we had installed a few years ago.

I want to trim this back a little so that we get the full daylight coming in to the lounge again but I don't want to cause damage the tree so that it dies etc. Is it possible to hack off branches from appropriate places on conifers without causing longer term damage to them?

I have petrol hedge trimmers and a petrol chain saw - so actually doing the job isn't going to be a problem - I just want to be assured I am not going to kill the tree by so doing.

Does anyone have any advice for me please...? Cheers.
  2. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Either look for any local travellers or perhaps more sensibly, with the size of the thing and its close proximity to your house, get a tree surgeon to do it for you?
  3. TheMusicMan

That's exactly the sort of thing I DON'T want to be doing. I have 10 conifers on the left hand side of my front garden that I regularly lob the tops off and they look great, but I get so many dodgy people with Irish accents knocking at my door offering their 'Tree Surgeon' skills you wouldn't believe.
  4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Hi John
    local tree surgeon is the way to go , the tree looks too close to the house ( I am suprised it was planted that close, was the tree planted there before the house was built? , tree roots are a massive cause of subsidence and house damage) , I am sure the tree is a beech ( nicknamed the widowmaker) due to the fact when you cut them down the bark is notoriously tough and can flip the tree trunk over taking out the poor bloke cutting it down.hacking off branches will leave you will a similer problem next year or the year after year.
    the only trees covered under preservation schemes are oak , you should not have any problems removing it , I would recomend that a tree surgeon be used.
    I dont know this guy by reputation but he works for coleg gwent

Ben Daniel Arboricultural Services - Torfaen based tree surgery
    Landline: 01495-750923.
    Mobile: 07801-526-525.

Click here for LANTRA Training
    LANTRA Forestry and Arboriculture courses: all climbing courses and woodchipper.
    Click here for Assessing
    NPTC Assessments - Maintain and Operate the Chainsaw, Fell Small Trees, Fell Medium Sized Trees, Climb Trees and Perform Aerial Rescue, Operate a Chainsaw from Rope and Harness, Pruning Operations, Dismantling Operations, Wood Chipper.
    Click here for LOLER Inspections
    Under the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (1998), Climbing and Rigging (branch lowering equipment) must be examined by a competent, impartial person at regular intervals. For climbing equipment this is at least once every six months, for rigging equipment, at least once every year.
    Click here for Contracting
    14 years of Contracting experience. Technical dismantling operations including speedlining/freelining, branch lifting equipment.
    Click here for Environmental Measures
    ISCA Hardwoods, Wales - Sustainable source of native hardwood timber, Sustainable tree management by responsible tree surgeons.
    Click here for Consultancy
    Arboricultural Association’s Technicians Certificate in Arboriculture.
    Click here for Tree Surgeon Ben Daniel: Personal Profile
    Lecturer, Coleg Gwent, Usk Campus, Usk College of Agriculture, Wales.

hope this helps John
  5. TheMusicMan

Cheers Nick. I have managed to locate a Tree Surgeon close to Newport, but I might give this guy a call too. Won't hurt to get another perspective on what to do with the tree!!
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If you found a third you'd have the makings of a good joke: "t'ree fellers wanted" :oops:
  7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

No worries John , last thing we want is the music man taken out by a rogue tree.
    got a tree problem at work at the moment so using the proper guys for the job is a must. Yes never hurts to get a second opinion..
    good luck with it.
  8. TheMusicMan

Update: I called Ben - what a very friendly and knowledgeable chap he is. I recomend his services to anyone else in the South Wales area who might be looking for a tree surgeon.

I am hoping he may be able to come out to have a look this evening and provide a quote.

I don't think it's a beech tree though Nick... it is an evergreen. I don't want to touch it myself for fear of killing it then causing the roots to rot and then suffer from subsidence. It was planted before we moved in to the house 9 years ago, and only in the last 2 years has it grown tremendously, hence needing to get it sorted.

Thanks for the link though - will update as soon as Ben has visited.
  9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

The roots are BIGGER than the spread of the Tree. So I agree with the other poster. Cut it down completely, it's far too close to the house.

Years ago I had a simlar layout to you and had an extension built out the front. The Planning Officer would not approve the build until the entire row of conifers was removed.
  10. TheMusicMan

Not sure I can do that because the roots would then rot away leaving huge holes beneath the house thus possibly causing subsidence.

I like the tree, it's just that over these last two years it has skyrocketed. I want to keep it, but want to keep it in check too!! I'll wait to see what Ben says.
  11. Lisa

Lisa Member

I know a tree surgeon too, who is also called Ben! How amazing! :)
  12. Brasstrom

Brasstrom New Member

Conifers are often very shallow rooted so are less likely to cause problems with foundations

That said it does look very tall and very close to the house
    As far as hacking it back goes you are unlikely to kill it
    but new growth wont always form on old wood
    so if you cut back to far you may get 'bald patches'

giving it a trim and cutting back some branches to give more light around the window should be fine
    but given its height I would get someone in to do it
    (if only to take away all the rubbish)
  13. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

...seems a bit strange, I think he'd have been on dodgy grounds on appeal if he'd refused it on those grounds!!

Re: Nick's comments on tree preservation - Any tree (not just oaks) can be subject to preservation orders. Unauthorised work to protected tree can lead to a fine of up tp £20,000. I wouldn't worry though John, that tree doesn't look like a particularly brilliant specimen and is unlikely to be protected and if it were, I'd think you'd know about it.