Treble or Bass Cleff?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ryan06, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

What type of cleff does your band read? (minus the bass trombone of course because they always play in the bass cleff)

The Salvation Army band Im in, we read treble cleff music (all Salvation Army bands do..weird eh?)

In the orchestra...low brass we read bass cleff, trumpets and the woodwinds and all of them read treble.
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hey Buddy!

It depends.
    Cornets, Trumpets and Horns all tend to read in Treble (Except for the strange beast that is the Franch Horn, sometimes they get a bit of Bass Clef thrown in there)

Euphoniums and Baritones read Treble in Brass Bands but in Wind Orchestra's get either Bass or Treble, depends on the publisher really.

Tuba is the same as the Euphonium, Treble in Brass Bands, usually Bass in Wind Orchestras but sometimes Treble again depending on the publisher with most pieces, you get parts in both Treble and Bass so the player can pick and choose and always in Bass in Orchestras.

Trombones, now, here's the biggy. In Brass Bands it's in Treble clef though you get the odd march in Tenor Clef. Wind Orchestra and Jazz are primarilly bass clef though you can get some Tenor. Orchestra, you get Bass, Tenor and Alto clefs but don't be fooled, just because the part is in Alto clef doesn't mean it is for Alto Trombone.

Hope this helps?
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

As much as they don't like to admit it.
    Trombonists sometimes like playing alto clef - especially when evil composers like me want them playing rather high! :) :evil:
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

By the way.
    I'm off my face, and hope that everyone appreciates the care at which I've typed these posts. It's taking me frickin' ages! :D
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm just more pleased how you found a cartoon avatar that looks a bit like you :p
  6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

7. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

So pretty much business as ususal then eh Ben :D

BTW Contgrats on your recording (sorry mods), haven't heard it yet but will try too get round to it when I get paid :D
  8. millie6589

millie6589 Member

i've played in varoius clefs with various bands, its always treble clef when i'm playing tenor horn, but was usually bass clef when i was playing baritone sax and could be either when i played tenor sax!
  9. Just to confuse things further, I started off playing baritone in my school band on bass clef and by the time I joined my first brass band I was also reading treble clef (as the instruments got bigger, those little dots on the lines got further and further higher up the stave!)

10. Obviously, the "little dots on the lines" refers to the notes!
  11. Hells Bones

Whoops :oops:
  12. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

I occasionally got asked to help a small brass group we played at a concert in a local church where we played a quintet piece (although for the life of me I cannot remember what the piece was) it started in Bass Clef in Bb so not only reading bass clef but transposing as well, then it progressed to tenor clef again in Bb which was very confusing and then on to Alto clef again in Bb very wearing I can tell you. Brass bands play in treble clef because it was easier to teach new players when the fingering for all notes are the same. Most other musical groups play in a clef which denotes the pitch of an instrument.
  13. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I think that all brass band music should be rescored only using the relevant clef.

Sop uses Soprano Clef
    Cornet and Flug use Treble Clef
    Tenor Horns Alto Clef
    Euphs/Troms Tenor Clef
    Baritones would use a brand new clef called Baritone ( I may have made this up, who knows?)
    Basses use Bass Clef
    Percussion any permutation of the above
    Conductor gets the Great Clef

This may create some teething problems, but it would develop us all, and just imagine sight reading a new piece in a new clef LOL
  14. hicks

hicks Member

I would say a lot of trombonists, particularly brass band players, don't read tenor clef properly. I must admit I'm only really comfortable with bass clef, and the brass band treble clef.
  15. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I'll second that - I don't know which note is which in tenor clef - but I can play it OK. I think it's just a trombone thing.
  16. Hells Bones

There is a Baritione clef, it is a Bass Clef with the F on the 3rd line as opposed to 4th. You hardly ever see it though.
  17. Hells Bones

Then you get people like me who read Brass Band Treble as Tenor and get confused when the conductor says "That F is out of tune!" and I think "F? What F? I've got an Eb!"
  18. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Ours doesn't always! Is he stupid?!
  19. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm just having an anally retentive moment here, but, although there might be a large number of different clefs, there's only one 'F' in clef!:p

It's derived from the French word for 'key'.
  20. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

You don't often see a baritione these days, either :)