Travelsphere Solo Tuba steps Down to concentrate on Conducting

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by crabtree-music, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Robin Norman, solo E-flat Tuba with the Travelsphere Holidays Band and Brass Band Editor for Warner Bros., has announced that he is to leave the band with immediate effect to concentrate on his conducting and soloist work.

Of this decision Robin said, "This was a difficult decision for me to make after 7 great years with the band which culminated in last year’s 6th place at the National Championships but I feel now is the right time to move on and concentrate on my blossoming work as a conductor and also my guest soloist engagements. Conducting has always been a great passion of mine since my time at college where I was fortunate enough to study conducting and work with such great conductors and musicians as Sir Simon Rattle, Sir Charles Groves, Steven Mead and James Gourlay and the work I have undertaken in recent times as musical director and ‘guest’ conductor in both the brass and concert band field has convinced me that I have many things to offer in this area in a more permanent role. The unique ‘lyrical’ sound of a brass band is something to be nurtured and cherished and has become my first love of music following 12 years of playing in bands at the highest level. It is time for me to give something back to a movement that has given so much to me over the years.

I would like to thank Dave Stowell and all my friends at Travelsphere for all their support in this decision, and also for 7 great years of music-making. I wish them all the best for the future."

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2005
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tuba
    Travelsphere Solo Tuba
    E-flat
    Simon Rattle
    Charles Groves
  3. Steve

Steve Active Member

What a loss to travelsphere but surely a big gain to which ever band Robin conducts. Quality musician, which is evident in his playing so a personal good luck to him.

Jolly nice fellow too!!

4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Can only echo Steve's words. Good luck 'Bruno' :clap: :clap:

5. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

Robin
    We would all like to wish you the very best of luck and continued success as a soloist and conductor. You were an insiration to so many of our players and followers when you came to play with Norfolk Wherry Brass last year, for which we were very grateful.
    Best wishes,
    Mike Thorn
    Norfolk Wherry Brass
    www.norfolkwherrybrass.org.uk

6. ssmith

ssmith New Member

Sorry to hear that you are leaving us. Your playing and companionship will be missed by all in the band.

All the best for the future.

Simon & Jan.

PS - Hope your back is on the mend.

7. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, I'm looking forward to the challenge of something new. I'm also looking forward to seeing some old friends down in London on Sunday, coming to listen and support.

Thanks also for your concern over the back Simon, chiropractor has sorted it out now so all is well and 'raring to go'.