travelling expenses?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by marksmith, May 13, 2009.

1. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

When is it acceptable to ask for travelling expenses? It seems that there is no set protocol regarding expenses and it is embarrassing to ask.:confused:
    What are your suggestions for bands/individuals, on rehearsals/jobs/contests or deputising?
    (Please accept my apologies if this has been previously discussed but it does affect us all).

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    rehearsals
    travelling expenses
    deputising
    individuals
    jobs
  3. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

For the elite bands, it's expected that some players will travel from further afield and expenses will be paid as a matter of course.

When you dep and there is a fair amount of travel that would result in out of pocket expense then it's a fair question to ask and nobody should take exception to you asking. When the band asks you to help and they're giving you the details of the job, you can say, "I would imagine the travel for the job will be £xx, would the band cover that?" perfectly reasonable :)

4. stevo700

stevo700 New Member

We always give expenses to deps; else we might not see them again!! You shouldn't have to ask, surely?

5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I agree with Steve. It should always be offered. I never accept any money, but if it's not offered I probably wouldn't help that band again.

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Maybe not, but it avoids the situation were a dep expects 50 quid and the band is only willing / able to pay a fiver.

....always an interesting one, that...:)

7. toptutti

toptutti Member

50 quid a dep - that would finish most 4th section bands.
    Prefer my expenses is paid in pints

8. stotty74

stotty74 Member

I always used to ensure that anyone arranging deps for our band knew that we paid a standard expenses fee. If the player asked for more, then we would negotiate, but generally it was all sorted before any job, and a lot of the time deps would refuse payment. If i then helped their band, i would return the favour. I have accepted expenses before, but usually it just covers my petrol and tunnel fees, and most of the time i will do if for free if i can. It's nice to be offered though and you shouldn't have to ask.

I think it is perfectly acceptable to ask for expenses if you need them. Just make sure the band in question knows beforehand to save any sort of embarrassment.

9. Rob

Rob Member

I've often found it's the poorer players that try and charge the most (obviously there are exceptions!), especially those at music colleges studying brass band instruments who have it fed into their heads that they are 'professionals/semi-professionals' - and often make a pig's ear of any job they have to do. 'Professional' my a**e.

10. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Yes well said.It should always be offered to guest players...Iv e helped bands out and never been asked...but have got my own back later on when they really were in dire straights and I told them to get stuffed.

11. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

PMPL. Quote of the week Rob!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    rehearsals
    travelling expenses
    deputising
    individuals
    jobs
  13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Probably the poorer people are the players least in a position to absorb any extra travel costs they may have to come help you out. At the end of the day they are helping out your band, not just coming along for a blow. Ten or twenty quid is a heck of a lot of money to a student from what I remember.

14. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

I think he maybe meant poorer in terms of ability not financial :D

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It would finish off most 1st section bands (including my own!) and quite a number of Championship section bands too. But it does happen. I still have vivid memories of borrowing a supposedly "top section", "name" soprano dep many years ago (about 15 I think), for a large concert we were doing. He turned up on time for the pre-concert rehearsal, but refused to play for that, then spent the whole night merrily cocking up every single piece we played, and moaning to the rep player about the programme.

Our band manager at the time made the mistake of asking him afterwards what he wanted for expenses...

"well, I was here for the rehearsal and concert, so call it fifty quid" (without a hint of irony)

...needless to say he's never played for us since, and we've never made that mistake again...

Ahhh the "standard pint of ale" - the preferred currency of bands everywhere ;)

16. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

You would assume that, wouldn't you? However, you would be surprised at the attitude of some bands towards travel expenses.
    Yes, times are hard and bands are seeing a reduction in income, but so are the individuals who travel to play for them.
    It is alright putting some personality-void individual in charge of these matters, I am sure that they do save bands pounds across a year. However, the damage they do to relationships between bands and individuals is beyond measure, in terms of goodwill.
    So, in answer to the above question, yes, you do still have to ask with some bands. Sad, isn't it?

17. David Mann

David Mann Member

This has been debated at length before, but no harm in giving it another airing. In a nutshell, some players are greedy, and some bands don't pay expenses. Courtesy demands that any conversation about expenses should take place before the job, and should be initiated by the band to avoid any misunderstandings.

18. Jack

Jack Member

a mate of mine was sayin how he did a march and hymn tune contest for a 4th section band and he did it for free

but they had got a bass drum player in as well who charged £50 for a 50 metre march

now that is ridiculous!!!!

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

For me, travel expenses should be offered if a player is going to suffer genuine hardship as a result of attendence if no alternative arrangements (e.g. a lift) can be organised. Deps are a completely different matter if they negotiate fees in advance.

20. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I completely agree with you and it is the deputising that I was referring to in my original post.
    However, I would still state that it is very hit and miss whether exes are available to all, when we focus on 'own band' expenses.
    I have observed over the years, that retainers and travelling expenses are easily available to a select few within some top-section bands, but if the 'average Joe' (also being the back-bone of stability within the band) asks for similar consideration re: expenses, the funding is not available.
    I would suggest that a policy is drafted by the committees of bands, stating their stance on payment of exes, this could then be implemented fairly for all members and deputising players, negating the need for individual transactions/decisions.
    I have no personal axe to grind here, I am not even playing at present but it is a serious issue in today's economic climate.

21. toptutti

toptutti Member

[
    Ahhh the "standard pint of ale" - the preferred currency of bands everywhere ;)[/quote]

and there's no tax form to fill in :D

Unfortunately most of the 4th section in my patch are struggling to find players. I dread to think what would happen to the movement if we didn't help each other out
    At least we all know each other and know what we've getting

22. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

and there's no tax form to fill in :D

Unfortunately most of the 4th section in my patch are struggling to find players. I dread to think what would happen to the movement if we didn't help each other out
    At least we all know each other and know what we've getting[/quote]

I can't argue with that - and long may it continue! ( for future reference, I don't drink but appreciate a nice bar of chocolate as an alternative!)