Traps A400 "flat" drums

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by onedrummeruk, Oct 8, 2008.

1. onedrummeruk

onedrummeruk Member

After trashing my car a few time carrying full size kits around I was considering an Traps A400 kit. I had a little try out on one of these kits a couple of months ago and was impressed at what I heard & saw. Does any drummer have experience of this make of kit as I was interested in purchasing one, but could do with some feedback as in - Does the spound decline after usage, ease of erection & dismantle and any other useful info.

If I did get one i was going to use my own cymbals as I don't believe the quality of cymbals provided is too hot.

** This is not the Arbiter Flats Kit **
  2. Sparky

Sparky Member

We bought a Traps kit a while ago and our kit player thinks it is great. It's easy to carry, fits in the boot of most cars, is easily put together and gives a sound pretty close to a conventional drum kit. We use it for most gigs but use a conventional kit for contests. The opinions of deps who have used the kit have also been favourable. We bought a kit without cymbals because our kit player wanted to use his own.
  3. Di

Di Active Member

We've recently sold a Traps kit, as it was replaced by a new 6 piece kit for playing in a rock band.

Adam used the Traps kit in brass bands, ensembles and to begin with, his rock band. As has been said, very easy to transport, and the best bit to my mind was ease of getting it in and out of venues with tight spots. So much easier than lugging the full kit around and getting it all in and out of bags.

It did produce a good sound which carried well with the band with very punchy toms with good quality Remo heads and a good snare. The bass drum however had a lot of resonance and if you dampened it, it was quite weak.

Agree with you that the cymbals are not the best, so if you have a good set, use em! Oh and the cymbal mounts dent fairly easily if you screw the clamps up too tight which makes it difficult to lower and raise them, so do them up tight enough, but not too tight. ;)
  4. alanl58

alanl58 Member

We have no experience of these drums, but reckon that they may well be a good solution to the problem of not having a permanent bandroom, and our constant need for an estate car to transport the kit.

But if we took these drums into, say, a summer fete, or Cornish "Revel", how would they work on grass?

We suspect that athough they may sound good in a concert hall or bandstand, they may not have the resonance of a "grass" base.

Has anyone experience of them in a"field" environment?