Transferring MP3 files......

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by barry toan, Oct 1, 2004.

1. barry toan

barry toan New Member

I have a 20GB MP3 player, which currently has about 4000 tracks stored onto it

Most of these files were transferred from my pc, in the form of mp3 files over the last couple of years. I deleted them from my computer hard drive after I had transferred them on to the mp3 player, in order to free up much needed hard disk space.

I now have a new PC, and was wondering if there is any way to transfer the songs back onto the pc.(can I send them from the mp3 player back to my PC?)

I am hoping to put the tracks onto CD, so this seems the best way. Is there an alternative way?..... :shock:
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

What is your MP3 player...? is it an iPod?

If not - then your MP3 player should be seen by your new PC simply as an external drive and you will be able to use Windows file manager to copy the files from the MP3 to the My Music location on the new PC.

If it is an iPod, then the process is a little trickier. When you connect your iPod to the new PC, and assuming you will have iTunes (or similar) installed, it will try to synchronise the files on the PC to the files on the iPod - thus deleting all the files on the iPod. You will need to do a manual sync in which case no files will be transferred and you will need to do a manual copy from the iPod to the new PC drive.

Drop a reply here for further advice if you need it....
  3. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

I dont think it is possible to transfer songs back to the computer. This is because certain copyright laws dont let you copy songs off an mp3 player to a computer. I can only imagine this so that you dont borrow an mp3 player off your mate and download his entire collection (even though it would be possible to "borrow" his CD collection and rip them all to your PC).
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Depending on exactly which make/model of jukebox it is it can be a bit tricky. Some players e.g. the iPod have built in DRM (digital rights management) software to limit the number of copies that can be made. You say the files are MP3, I believe that the MP3 format has no such DRM built in as it pre-dated the new laws in the US/Europe. So if you can see the jukebox as an external hard drive you may simply be able to do a drag and drop back to your new PC. If the files are WMA or AAC then this can be a bit tricky but it is not impossible. One hint I can give you is that most non Micro$oft operating systems do not bother with DRM.
  5. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I've got a Zen Jukebox (Creative) and I can transfer the files between the MP3 and the PC as oftern as I like. It's very easy, although it would be quicker if I had a USB 2.0 port fit-ted.

(edited because it wouldn't let me type *****d)
  6. barry toan

barry toan New Member

Thanks guys! My mp3 player is a Rio Riot, a couple of years old now. I think you're right in that it only recognises it as an external player- but I'll have a play around to see if I can do any dragging and dropping....... Although I have a feeling it can only cope with one way traffic!
    I think perhaps my only hope is to connect it to the back of my standalone CD recorder, via Line-in, and record each track manually!..... I'll be finished by the time im 82!
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

By the look of that avatar it won't be long :)
  8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

9. barry toan

barry toan New Member

Thanks John, excellent site! I think im in business!....