Transfering music from iPod to new Mac... advice please?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Apr 21, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi All

I have just got myself a new toy - a shiny new MacBook, and I want to use this as my music PC. All my music files are currently synce'd to my iPod from my Dell Laptop and I now want to transfer all the music currently on my iPod onto my MacBook.

Does anyone have experience of this and perhaps a set of easy to follow instructions so I don't lose any of my music files in the process?

As the iPod is not paired with the MacBook currently, is it simply a question of popping the iPod to a USB port on the Mac and hey presto! Everything else on the Mac seems to be soooo easy to do... is this the same.

I am a total noob to the world of Mac's and so am hoping someone here with such experience may be able to help.

2. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

You can't "normally" take tunes from your iPod to the computer, Apple have deliberately disabled that feature. If you try to sync your iPod to the MacBook with an empty library it will erase the iPod. having said that there is software available to allow this to be done. My personal favourite is Anapod CopyGear from RedChair software.

If the iTunes library is still on the Dell then why not simply burn it to a DVD (or several depending on size), or network the two computers, and then import the tunes to the MacBook. You don't mention if these are MP3 tracks or Apple AAC format. if they are MP3 then no problem, if they are AAC then you will have to authorise the MacBook to use them.
  4. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

5. NeilW

NeilW Member

Can you just "see" the music files on an iPod (don't know - haven't got one!).

If so, just copy them to your iMac. If not, you'll have to copy them from the PC....
    is devoted to removing the copy protection from M4P files (see QTfairuse6 for the tool you want, with instructions in the forums....)

Then do what you will with them....

You might not agree with the idea of removing the protection, but as the site says:
    "The purpose of the Hymn Project is to allow you to exercise your fair-use rights under copyright law. The various software provided on this web site allows you to free your iTunes Music Store purchases (protected AAC / .m4p) from their DRM restrictions with no loss of sound quality. These songs can then be played outside of the iTunes environment, even on operating systems not supported by iTunes and on hardware not supported by Apple"

If I ended up with a protected AAC file, I'd have to use something like this as my MP3 player is not by Apple!

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

No, you can't. Apple store the files in a hierarchical folder structure. A database tells the pod where each music file is. The files aren't even named after tracks. You can use the windows search facility to find individual tracks but it would be time consuming to recover a whole pod in this manner.
  7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

As a point of information - again (as I seem to be saying it very frequently at the moment) - there is NO fair use policy in British Copyright law. It doesn't exist. At all. I don't happen to agree with it, but that's another story.

the powers that be are (almost) turning a blind eye to some things, but in GB the statement you've quoted is incorrect and (technically) encourages people to break the law.

Hopefully things will change in this respect sooner rather than later.
  8. NeilW

NeilW Member

Oh well, bad luck. I guess every silver lining has a cloud!

Makes me glad to have an iRiver: the disk is just a plain USB-attached FAT32 storage device. You can see every file on it and copy what you want to and from it... Yes, its organised hierachically (if you want to...) and has a database index of ID3 tags. But the files are sensibly named from the track number and name.

I suspect if you put the cross-platform Rockbox on the iPod it would become more "normal" and you could ditch the horribly slow iTunes and its silly restrictions... Rockbox does support M3A form of AAC, but not the Apple DRM rubbish (nor indeed anyone elses as its a "public source" operating system) might help get the files off the iPod

[does it show that I'm not an iPod fan?]

9. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I've been away on holiday so don't know if you've sorted out your problem yet.
    When I saw the light and transferred from PC to Mac I used this- Ipodrip
    It's totally free and does the job with no snags.
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

*So jealous*

Ephpod is the programme I used when i transferred them over. What Apple suggest is you copy all of your music onto the ipod as opposed to using iTunes (like a rather large USB device!)...?