Transfer fees

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellraiser, Feb 11, 2005.

1. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Happens in football, will it happen in bands I wonder? I'd say that a case could be made.

Bands who bother to invest a lot of money and time in a youth system, then see their best players leave on effectively a free transfer... no wonder they get upset with this situation! Perhaps a transfer fee would make things fairer?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    lot
    money
    wonder
    transfer
    bands
  3. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Footballers are paid for what they do, aren't they? The majority of us do this for fun. Also, we don't have contracts - so I'm not sure that it would work logistically. I think we just have to make people want to stay in our bands by making them fun to play in and a good social environment.

4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I dont think it would ever happen Rhods , but if bands needed to sign a player from a local lower section band , maybe the band wanting the player should do something for the training of a new player for the band which has lost out the player or put on a masterclass or raise some money for them .
    just an idea.

5. lewis

lewis Member

As harsh as it might sound if a youth player gets good and wants to go on to a better band then the parting band should just except it. It cannot be fair to expect a player that has potential to just sit on his/her hands playing for a band that isn't good enough!

Sorry that does harsh I know but we do this for fun right? Therefore all players should be surrounded by players of similar standards (I think). Playing in a band can't just be for the social crack the music has to be good as well.

6. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

It can be dissapointing after you've 'invested' in a player by supplying an instrument and tuition for them to leave for another band. But as already pointed out they aren't under contract and aren't paid for their services (well not in our Band) so a transfer fee would be unworkable.

Anyhow how many players has your band signed from other bands that are already capable players, not every new member is going to need tuition from the outset, so the whole situation is like 'swings and roundabouts'.

7. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

I have no problem with players wanting to move on to play for better bands- I've done this myself many times.

I'm saying that from an organisational point of view that it's no wonder how irritated some bands get when they train someone to be a really good player, only to see him/her walk out on a free transfer- maybe transfer fees is the way things might go in the future.

At present there doesn't seem to be any measure of compensation for the band that invested time and effort in developing this individual.

Bands have two means by which to acquire new players for their standard. One option is to work hard to get a decent youth setup to grow their own players. The other is to simply recruit players from other bands. Usually it's a combination of both.

It's worth remembering that some bands, especially at the time of the Area contests, spend a lot of money signing someone just to play for them for that contest. I have no problem with this, that's entirely up to the band if they consider it a worthwhile investment, good luck to them. Many championship bands are well accustomed to spending money to fill seats, even for one contest performance. Therefore, why would there be a reluctance to pay a transfer fee to another band to acquire the services of a player for a longer period? It would be a far better investment for them, surely...

8. Syrup

Syrup Member

But why should there be? All I would hope for though is that the player leaving would do it the correct way and give them plenty of notice to lessen the impact. What annoys me is when players leave to join another band just before the deadline to sign players for a contest, thereby leaving their old band possibly in the sh*t. They will get a bad name for this and quite rightly so.

Players will have aspirations to move onwards and upwards and bands should expect them to possibly move on at some point. Each band is potentially a stepping stone to the next one.

9. jim

jim Member

I dare say it has never happend over the years aspeacially in the top sections with bands with large sponsorships in order to bring in better players, Iv only ever heard rumours but it douse seem to happen money to attract players 'incentives' its called.

10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Ive said this before in a thread, but we must be one of the few bands in the country that doesnt take anybody in from other bands but trains and looses 6 or 7 every year that to go to uni! Our band is all home grown from primary school age and when they leave grammar school, they have to leave the area and move to glasgow etc for their further education.

If they still want to play music they join bands in & around wherever their studying, bands such as Kirkintilloch, KKB, Newmilns & Galston, Broxburn, Scottish Co-op, Barrhead, Hepworth, Brighouse, and Black Dyke (to name a few) have all had Campbeltown trained players through the years and some are still there just now. So I think we're getting quite good at this feeder band thing for higher section bands and could do with some transfer fees for the training we do!! ;)

Tho doubt if Dyke wouldve given us some training money for Morvern when she joined, shes played for a couple of bands since Campbeltown, but it would be nice!!! :rolleyes:

11. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Oi Crawford, you looking at this?

You going to pay for our move up north as part of a transfer fee then ;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    lot
    money
    wonder
    transfer
    bands
  13. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

I really don't understand why people would want to move to a 'better' band. Surely the challenge as a musician is to see your band improve, and to be part of that improvement. Doesn't that give a greater sense of fulfillment than skipping around from one band to another?

14. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I don't think there is a direct link between players that are 'skipping from one band to another' and those that leave a band to one that is a much higher stand. IMHO the link with the former is more to do with trophies that standard. What I mean by this is those people who generally 'skip from one band to another' are doing this because they want to be with a 'successful' band. In my experience it often doesn't matter about the standard. Players will move from ch section to 3rd section, back to 1st section, 4th section etc to be part of the glory.

It's difficult when players move on, especially if they were one of your key players. But, if you have invested that much time and effort into training such a player most are eternally grateful. They (normally) don't want to leave on bad terms and will be very happy to help the band out whenever they can. The band should be proud to part of such a success and wish the player luck in their move. That way you can still benefit out of the situation i.e a good quality, friendly (free i should think) dep.

15. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I see your point about musicians challenging themselves and their bands to improve, but what if the band they're in has very little potential? For example if the band was in an area with very few interested brass players, so there was a shortage of members, or if the music wasn't challenging enough?
    The band I'm in at the moment has lost a lot of its better members in the last few months, not to other bands, but just because they couldn't be bothered to turn up. It has reverted back to playing 'Tiger rag'. There is only so many times committed members can play a grade 1 piece without ripping it up in frustration. The few members left are either new or players who don't have the transport to another band. Obviously this is an extreme example, but who doesn't dream of playing a solo in the RAH with black dyke?

16. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

17. supersop_1

supersop_1 Account Suspended

I have been someone who has been poached from a lower section band.I left because the band was going backwards.It was very hard to leave and it took both sides quite a while to get over it,but the fact is they did get over it.The band i went to won the nationals with me on top cornet that year.I would never have done that with the band i was at.I was there for 12yrs before i left.

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Interesting to see that no-one has put forward price-scales for fees. :p How much is a bander worth if we truly operated like football clubs do? Would contracts be drawn up and would we see the emergence of agents? Now, that's food for thought!

19. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Would this situation not end up in a scenario where only the rich bands have sucess? Surely with the introduction of "transfer fees", oonly the bands with shed loads of money could ever afford the best players.

Wouldn't ever want a situation where a player was judged on how much he was worth and not his musical ability.

20. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Surely the value of the player would reflect his/her musical ability.

This could be a nice little earner for bands with a good youth policy and would remove much of the bitterness of a transfer as the band that's losing the player would get compensated. The 'rich' bands would be spreading some of their wealth to the feeder bands which is not a bad thing.

21. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Interesting question. I'm sure a market would emerge.

If a band realised they had a good lineup of soloists but a poor Euph then paying a transfer fee to sign a quality Euph to play at the areas might seem like a sensible investment as maybe it would make the difference between the band qualifying or losing out.