Training Band Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Sep 7, 2005.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We are just about to get our Training Band started and the conductor has asked me to get them some music which I'm told is called The Crotchet Factory - comes with all treble clef parts but no bass trombone.

My problem is what is it and where do I get it - have searched on Google and that comes up with Mostyn Music and Just Select but I can't find the details. Is this a selection of suitable music for training bands or the publisher or just individual arrangements for a training band? Would I then need to get a selection of separate pieces for them?

Anyone used this music that can point me in the correct direction? Thanks in advance.
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

we use this music with our youth band, and they seem to enjoy playing it. they do some really good arrangements that will challenge the band.

they have a collection of different pieces. unfortunately i left my pad at band on friday so can't name all of the pieces we have, but i'll post something this friday when i get home. i think there is an adress on the score which should be helpfull for you.

i think the crotchet factory is the name of the publisher, and the arranger is Gary young.
    I would'nt say the music is for beginners, more for those that can play a little bit.

ill try and give you some more info on friday night.
    good luck with the training band.
  3. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Gary Young's Crotchet Factory is based up in the North East, around the Gateshead/South Shields area, I seem to remember.
    If you have trouble getting hold of him direct, I know Bank's in York used to stock most of the range. (They certainly did when I worked there last year, they may still do so!! :D)

4. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I found this by Gary Young / Crotchet factory
    A four part beginner brass band book
    Gary Young​
    (Score £18, Parts £2)

Gary Young​
    (Score £18, Parts £2)

£ 84.00 ​

5. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Gary Young writes all of the crotchet factory stuff. He first taught me how to play, he was an excellent teacher. I have played some of his stuff and it's ideal for training bands and school bands, it's hard to beat.
  6. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

8. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Hey you are welcome! just wish I had a set for my training band! My wish list grows ever longer!
  9. Di B

Di B Member

Banks Music in York actually holds some of the 'Crotchet Factory' music in stock - so you can go and have a look before you buy!

The arrangements vary somewhat - some are really simple, some quite difficult and advanced but all worth a look. (Young 'N Swingin' is popular at our training band!)