Training Band in Ashton-u-lyne

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by horn1, Jun 24, 2005.

1. horn1

horn1 Member

I've got a pupils at school who has real potential on euph and is desperate to join a training band. However he lives in Ashton and has no transport and all the training bands I know are in Saddleworth which is too far. Has anyone any ideas??

Nicola x
  2. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Im not sure if Stalybridge still have a 'B' Band...??

And Carrbrook are non-contesting (I think), they are a friendly band... My dad went to Ireland with Denton a few years back...
  3. You could put him in touch with St. John's, Droylsden - fairly close to Ashton.

I have been doing some training work with them over the past year, and found them to be a very friendly and enthusiastic outfit. They practice at St. John's Church, Moorside Street, on Tuesdays at 8.15pm and have learners / training sessions on Fridays (not too sure of start time).

They are currently non-contesting, but may be looking to change that in the not too distant future. If you need any further information, let me know, it may be possible to arrange a lift for him.

To add to Sandman's post, Carrbrook are a registered 4th Section band, and regularly compete.
  4. horn1

horn1 Member

Yeah, I used to play for Carrbrook many moons ago!!

Thanks for the info about St. Johns, I'll get back to you when I need the info

Thanks again!
  5. little_b_140

little_b_140 Member

Arnfield Brass

Arnfield Brass in Tintwistle would be happy for him to come along. We are a 4th section band & practice Wednesday evenings from 8p - 10pm. For more information you can view our website or email

6. horn1

horn1 Member

Thnks for that! I do really need a band actually in Ashton, transport really is a problem i.e. he has none!
  7. You'll struggle to find a training band in Ashton. I'm fairly certain that the A-U-L band don't offer any training. Droylsden and Carrbrook are your nearest Brass bands, and of course there is Adamson's Military band in Dukinfield. Phil Kerr (a fine Euph player & Music Teacher at West Hill School, A-U-L) is currently taking them. If you need a number let me know, or as I initially said, it may be possible to arrange a lift to Droylsden.
  8. Chris Sanders

Its in Stalybridge...
  9. I was trying to be generous, but yes you're right, it's the wrong side of Stamford Park!
  10. The Rag

The Rag New Member

I am not a regular contributor on tmp, in fact i read alot of the tiopics out of curiousity. Mossley Band maybe able to help, and its only a bus ride away from Ashton, depend on their age etc. Also what about Dobcross? they have training bands and whilst its a bit further to travel, it's possible that someone may come from the Ashton side and can aid with a lift

Apart from Carrbrook, and whether Stalybridge still has a B band, St John's, Adamson's and the likes of Uppermill, Greenfield etc in Saddleworth, can't think of anynore

11. Chris Sanders

What part of Ashton...??
  12. horn1

horn1 Member

West End, near Holy Trinity Primary school
  13. brian cox

brian cox New Member

Tintwistle band are Launching their brass acadamy on 3rd August 2005 at 630pm if you want any further details pm me
  14. what about denton brass? we have junior on thursday 6:30 till 7:30 practise in crownpoint