Training Band - Christmas party ideas please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tubafran, Nov 20, 2006.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

As a big thankyou to the excellent work our Training Band has done over the year the band are giving them a Christmas Party. They are aged between 8 and 12 and I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas what and perhaps what not to include.

We'll be holding it an a large hall with access to kitchen facilities (and a bar) so far I've got

Music (what type?)
    Food and Soft drinks
    Games

also thought we might put together a band related goody bag with for example those coloured plastic magnets.

Any help gratefully received - best idea gets a free invite.

2. Bungle

Bungle Member

What you need for your goody bag, are those what look like little plastic smoking pipes that have a ball on the end. You have to blow into the pipe to keep the ball up above the pipe. Then have a competition to see who can keep the ball up the longest.

Good sustained blowing excercise for them if you can get them to practise every day over Christmas.

3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Keeping a band related theme you could invite Mr Chuckles from brassed-off

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yes but will they get the Maggie Thatcher reference? And I always thought the end of his act was a bit on the lame side - how on earth did the security guards get him down off that pit-head?

5. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

For the sake of the adults supervising...limit the E-numbers ;)

by far the most popular game with our kids at playscheme this year was the pinata (sorry can't put the wiggly bit over the 'n' ...but I mean the stuffed donkey/llama-looking things, we got ours from Asda) is a great way for each youngster to get involved and take a turn so noone feels left out..and when the donkey breaks everyone's a winner! :D

6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

give them all a pencil with a magnet stuck on and some valve oil! I remember going to really good kiddy-type parties at the new carlton silver band (which is now carlton brass). I must have been between 8-12 at the time and we used to do alot of dancing to the 'chicken song' and 'superman'.

7. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

If you want a cd with all those kiddy songs on I will lend you one Francis just give me a shout (obviously I mean it is not MINE :tongue: it is just in my possession:rolleyes:)

8. Di B

Di B Member

How about getting a couple of the kids to bring in CD's and ask them what sort of food they want?

If they feel like they have contributed they will warm to the party more.

Musical chairs is actually good for all ages once the embarrassment of playing it wears off (about 1 minute!)

The other one is the chocolate game (although you will end up with hyper kids). The one where you have a big bar of chocolate that can only be eat with a knife and fork while wearing a hat scarves and gloves.

Keep it simple and get the kids involved. They might come up with some really good ideas.

9. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Last time we had a party we let the juniors join in with us. They had a few games at the beginning. Santa came and organised a few games. The kids loved dancing to the disco. We also made it clear to parents after 9pm was adult band party time. The kids could stay if accompanied by an adult but we wouldn't be responsible for any behaviour they saw after this time

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions

Goody bags done - magnets, pencils+rubber, sharpener and plastic wallet

Games - I've found a Snowman Pinata + whackers on an internet site which looks ideal - but I'll have a look in Tescos too.

Keep the ideas coming

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    party ideas
    thankyou
    work
    Training Band
    ideas
  12. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

Get the parents to supply the food. A plate of sandwiches or box of cakes/biscuits etc. each. That way it keeps the cost down and each child will get at least one thing they like to eat as their parent will buy/make what they like!

13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for all the above suggestions - in the end we asked the kids what they'd like to do, eat etc.

Can confirm that we managed to feed and entertain them for a good two hours and all went home very happy - one or two parents commented on how well thought out and organised the party had been - they said the kids usually get bored after about an hour.

We played some very traditional games which went down well, musical chairs and statues, colour corner and pass the parcel (we had a couple of complimentary tuners from JP Brass, which made fine prizes). Was really surpised at how competitive musical chairs is - sliding along the seats and not walking round, running back the wrong way, pushing through the chairs. Bigger kids sitting on smaller ones till they fall off the chair.

And managed to get loads of stuff for prizes, goody(loot) bags, eats etc from Poundland (fantastic value and just the right kind of tat)