Trade Stands, why.........

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rebel Tuba, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

are you always packed up by the time the higher sections get there late in the day. Surely you have a service to all bandspeople, not just the ones who get there before 4:30 / 5pm :x

I know you have a long day, but you chose the job. Come on guys and gals stay open, at least until the top sections have started playing, that would give most bands (heading for the late shift) to have had a rehearsal blow-through, get to the venue and buy something, before the draw has taken place.
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Hear hear!! It is SOOOOO annoying.

The usual argument from traders is about early starts & long days - that's their choice, but it ticks me off when the same people complain about lack of support from the bands. I've lost count of the times I've gone to get something specific from a trade stand, been too late and gone home to order it from the likes of Just Music/Normans instead! :roll:
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Many people set up far too early, and don't stay late enough. Everyone seems to forget that people who arrive for the event early will be leaving sometime later - and it doesn't usually make that much difference when they visit the stand. If you've ever stood at a trade stand, you'll know that there is often early dead time when you have few takers.

Of course, part of this may depend on the venue. If the locations for the stands are not assigned in advance, then you have to get there early to get the best spot.
  4. Active Member

I don't think anyone can accuse us of packing up early!
    We are usually the last to pack up even if it means a really late night or even an extra overnight stay.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  5. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Fair play to Carl and the team at Harrogate - on Sunday they were still going long after the others had packed up.Almost wish they hadn't though - I spent an unfeasibly large amount of money at the WOB stall!!!
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Exactly!! If I were working a trade stand, I would make sure I am there whe nthe highest concentration of people are there...which would be immediately before an after results are announced and sometime midday when people are migrating in and out from lunch. I probably wouldn't bother showing up until about 12:00 and ten stay through to the bitter end.
  7. Active Member

Sounds fine in theory but one thing that you must bear in mind is that, usually, the venues stipulate that the bringing in of stock and display equipment is done BEFORE the doors are open to the public. This is a basic Health & Safety consideration.
    Quite often we'd like to set up later as we usually miss out on a cooked breakfast at the hotel and have to make do with whatever we can find mid-morning!

From personal experience, we also find people browsing and trying to purchase while we are setting up! Although we don't want to deter sales at any time, we'd much rather set up without any distractions BEFORE the public arrives. Trying to set up when there are lots of people around is both impractical and unprofessional.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I, for one, like to have at least a cursory look round the stalls before the contest starts - and I was guilty of disturbing them whilst setting up at the Areas :oops: Equally, people who haven't been involved in such events tend not to realise exactly what is involved in getting things set up, especially when there are no convenient parking spaces near the display point.

I can also appreciate the problems faced by a small outfit, with few personnel and large distances to travel. The economics of such stands are such that there is often not a great deal of profit to be made, and an (additional?) overnight stay etc could make it unviable. Perhaps there could be some means of stating in advance opening times for the trade stands, so that people would at least know if they had to get there earlier to take advantage.
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

There's been several times were I've played in Champ section having only arrived so long before due to play and then when I've finished the trade stands have been packed away... *deep sigh* go to the bar... :lol: I think the only time I was successful in a good look and buying a couple of things was when Leyland had number one draw at the Grand Shield! :lol:

I'm hoping for an early-ish draw at the Finals on Saturday cos I URGENTLY need to get some new timp sticks etc etc... I like getting them from the trade stands :)