Toyz 'R Us

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, Aug 23, 2008.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ever remember toys or games you had as a kid that you wouldn't leave alone? I was chatting with some mates at work about this and one game I had to track down was Casdon's Bobby Charlton Soccer, which I remember playing all the time. I wasn't allowed Subbuteo at the time and my parents got me this for Xmas.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    R
    Bobby Charlton Soccer
    Casdon
    parents
    work
  3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I used to love the mechanical toys. I took them to pieces to find out how they worked, eventually learning how to put them back together again. I was into engineering before I even chose electrics as a career path, later to finish up engineering anyway. Nowadays my toys are a bit bigger, my latest disassembly being a three hundred ton injection molding press. (Worn out and for scrap)

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Big League was another table top soccer game, pulling the leg back for kicking action. Better than Bobby Charlton! And another - can't recall the name, where you pushed the players head down to kick the ball.

I came from a poor family, though. Subbuteo bought from saved pocket money was my limit.

(And I once swapped Fantastic Four number 2 for two subbuteo teams.:eek: )

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I bought my Subbuteo eventually at a local jumble sale! Never seemed then to get the space to enjoy playing it though.

6. Will the Sec

Striker was the other game - there's one on Ebay for under a tenner at the moment.

7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

My dad had hopes of me becoming an engineer and bought me an electric train set one year. He must have saved up for months to get it for me. Within a month or so I dismantled it (to see how it worked) but when I put it back together it never worked again. I don't think he ever forgave me for that. It was probably about then that he realised I was no good with tools!

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I had a good collection of Matchbox superfast cars and tracks to run them on. Anyone remember them?

9. Mine was called Kenny Dalgleish Super Soccer. Bought for me back in 1978 and I still play it with my kids now!

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I know mine wasn't called Bobby Charlton Soccer but I got it very late '60s or early '70s. If I remember correctly, it required just as much (... or lack of) skill as the traditional table football game.

11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I didn't recognise Bobby Charlton because he had hair!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    R
    Bobby Charlton Soccer
    Casdon
    parents
    work
  13. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I used to love Meccano. Especially the steam engines!! See the steam comin out!

14. rikster

rikster New Member

Meccano, now you are talking. I had a huge collection. My dad made me a big storage box with drawers and special sections for all the bits and although it was well used, the parts were all in great condition. I had clockwork motors and winches to go with it. When I left home I left the box with my mum, who promptly gave it to the kids next door who wrecked it and lost bits. A real shame as I reckon the kit would be worth a fortune now

15. Blagger

Blagger Member

A Vertibird was the best toy I ever got - 'bout Christmas 74 I think.
    They go for quite a bit on Ebay now..........
    Also a Streak Loop to go with my Matchbox cars:p

16. Will the Sec

Oh, yeah. But the "in" cars were Hot Wheels...

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- and a lot more expensive! I don't think my pocket money stretched to get many of them ... :oops: