Toughest Cornet Solo

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brownrob, Apr 15, 2009.

1. brownrob

brownrob Member

Just gathering opinions on the toughest Cornet solo you have played, or know of

Mine has to be "Wondrous Day" by Leidzen which is a real pain from G - I, the rest isnt too bad though!

Might run a poll if I get more suggestions! :D
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Jenny Jones
    Webers Last Waltze

- Wilkie
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Napoli. Piggin' hard.

Prelude and Capriccio by Edward Gregson.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The cornet concerto by Torstein Aagaard-Nilsen sounds demanding!
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Another one that sounds difficult to pull off is Wilfred Heaton's Annie Laurie. Anyone played it?
  6. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

The 'original' Clear Skies. The final bit is just ridiculous.

Check out David Daws live on the Eric Ball DVD, incredible...:clap:
  7. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Sparke's Cornet concerto.
  8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I would suggest that "the toughest" solo will be too difficult to determine. Some players can do certain things with more facility than others (eg: lip trills; extreme register). Other challenges would include the style of the solo (eg: Rhapsody on Negro Spirituals versus Zelda) and the stamina required due to sustained playing. If you can't lip trill you should probably not try Golden Slippers; if you can't finger trill well, you might do well to leave the Hummel Trumpet Concerto alone.

Other difficult solo suggestions could include Cornet Concerto (Elgar Howarth), The Glorious Fountain (Bernard Smith), Songs in the Heart (Erik Leidzen), Victorious (Dean Goffin), Song of Exultation ()Norman Bearcroft), and Life Abundant (Robert Redhead).
  9. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Heaton's Sinfonia Concertante.
  10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Only if you're the pianist :biggrin:
  11. andyp

andyp Active Member

Carnival of Venus by Allen Vitzzuti. Virtually impossible!
  12. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

I'd say Hettie Wainthrop. I've always found it nearly impossible to listen to all the way through!
  13. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

The original Clear Skies is a real beast when you listen to it. I have the DVD Jimbo mentioned. The published Clear Skies was considered a bit of a gold standard in the SA bands circles at one time. I think its difficult to put your finger on as mentioned some pieces offer challenges to one player that do not to another.

I am always amazed by Golden Slippers thats a favourite of mine to listen to. Unfortunately I neither have the ability or the nerve to play the solos I have mentioned so my opinion probably means nowt. But its just my opinion.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  14. alks

alks Member

Well as for the ones ive had a go at ( being only a average standard player) :

Golden Siippers - This is tough, parts are playable then other bits are stink hard such as the lip trills up to top D held over 11 bars. No chance!!

Napoli - Again some parts playable but other bits keep tripping me up. Nasty.

Concerto for B flat Cornet - Denis Wright - I think this is going to take some practice....eeek.

Air Varie Sur le Petit Suisse - Arrgggggghh! In fact after listening to the arban collection (1&2) playing any of them anything like that pace is well hard. (Although i have played some of them ok)

And this solo sounds quite hard Alan morrison on you tube : Harry James trumpet concerrto.

So i think its back to the Lazy trumpeter, Sugar blues and Buster strikes back for me....

15. Flight by Phillip Wilby written for Flugel or Cornet.
  16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

tomlinson's cornet concerto
  17. worzel

worzel Member

share my yoke
  18. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Think that 'Softly Wakes My Heart' puts the fear of god up most pianists... :biggrin:
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:oops: ... I accompanied Gavin Spowart on Napoli when he won the Scottish Solos many moons ago. Erm, one or two slips by me probably gave him a couple more points, ahem!
  20. alangiff3

alangiff3 Member

Jubilance - Hard work for soloist and band!