Total unashamed Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Dec 2, 2004.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Is it just me or are other people annoyed at the total two faced and downright hypocritical attitude of this Government.

If memory serves me right, "New labour" took power from the conservatives while the economy was the strongest it had been for many a year, but somehow managed to grab hold of the reigns of power because an all to easily convinced public were scared in to believing by the press AND THE OPPOSITION that cabinet ministers private lives couldn't possibly not effect their duties in office and as such, because a few affairs were uncovered, the Conservatives were deemed unfit to govern.

Tony Blair two days ago (referring to the David Blunkett affair,... if you'll pardon the pun)
    "Cabinet ministers must be entitled to keep their private lives private, and what they do in their private lives doesn't necessarily have an effect on their abilities to perform their duties of government" (or words to that effect). HUH?!?!?!?!?

And then yesterday it emerged that David Blunkett had also given one of his first class rail passes (tickets specifically for mp's or cabinet ministers, i'm not sure which) to someone else...and having been found out offered to pay for the journey, brushing it off as an oversight on his part as he hadn't realised the tickets are non-transferrable. (Yeah Right!)
    I know this is on a much larger scale but if that rule works for him then surely Ronnie Biggs could have saved himself a life in exile by giving back the money he stole, claiming it to have been a mistake and an oversight, "terribly sorry chaps, here's your money back, you can't touch me now!" ER...HELLO???...DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!
  2. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Not only that, but having been elected on a theme of "Family Values" it is now alleged that Blunkett has been told he has a simple choice :- your child or your job.....
  3. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Hopefully he'll choose the child option, because he's a pretty useless Home Secretary (as are the rest of the Labour Cabinet with respect to their individual jobs)
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'm somewhat 'apolitical', not because I don't have any of my own views on policies, but the people elected to govern our country seem to be, more and more these days, a bunch of freeloading sleazebags. Funny, though, when the Tory MPs got caught with their pants down, it was 'the party of sleaze'. Seems 'sleaze' is now acceptable from a high ranking cabinet minister. Perfectly OK to sleep around with a married woman and father at least one of their children. 'He's a first class Home Secretary' says B-Liar. So that makes it all right, then (as Ian Hislop would say)

Sad thing is, despite the Iraq war, the 'spin' (the new word for 'outright lies') and the questionable behaviour of its senior ministers, Labour will waltz the next election, simply because there's currently no credible opposition. First Bush gets re-elected..... (sigh!)
  5. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Unfortunately 4 more Years of the Blair-Bush partnership isn't exactly appealing! The tories need to lose the 'old man' image, and Charles kennedy needs to start sounding at least a little bit exciting when he for UKIP and the rest, what a sodding joke!

Not only is Blunkett a pretty poor (understatment!) Home secretary he has also turned into a meglomaniac!
    I can understand the need to reduce crime but why is this country suddenly looking more and more like an authoritarian police state!! Policy of Zero Tolerance and now the need for Identity cards!
    The Inland Revenue has never had any problem identifying me or my family, nor has the council when its tax coffing up time! why on earth do we need identity cards (that will cost about £80 each). Especially when 'terrorists' normally hold citizenship anyway.

Rant over because my brain is hurting now!
  6. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I agree Crawf & co. This government don't seem to have a clue how to proceed with anything!

It's tempting to emigrate before this country becomes a total police state - but is the grass really any greener anywhere else???

Rach x
  7. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

course it is! Govt has just dropped stamp duty for 1st time buyers! woohoo!
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

No. It's all the same everywhere.
    For years, people here in Flanders were telling "See how everything is much better organized in the Netherlands. We need to be like that". And see what's happening over there now... The entire country seems to be going down the drain. And all of sudden we are an example for them :shock: Yeah right...

You just think that it is better in other places, because you don't hear about their problems as much as you hear about your own...
  9. ronnie_the_lizard

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence
    - that's usually because it needs mowing.

TIMBONE Active Member

It's easy, general election next year, vote lib/dem, (whatever you do don't vote tory). Of course, this includes students and all other not long turned 18 'can't be a...d to vote' people. No, I don't want to hear feeble excuses, use your democratic right to vote.

11. rutty

rutty Active Member

I think we should take it as a given that all politicians are devious, deviant and untrustworthy, no matter what their party. I prefer to vote for the party that I think would be best for the country, even if I have to put aside some of these appalling issues that get on the front pages. It's not all been bad news for New Labour after all. The economy does appear to be in a fairly reasonable state, which would have been unimaginable under an 80s Labour government spend-spend-spend mentality.

However, I've always got an open mind to these things. The Lib-Dems have yet to convince me that they have the nous to run the country. The Tories? Still a joke, should have elected Ken Clarke as leader.

Oddly enough I'd probably vote Green if I thought that they add the economic policies to back up their social awareness.

Hmmm, decisions decisions....
  12. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

If it's alright for Blunkett to sleep around and fast-track nannies for his lover, why isn't it alright for Boris Johnson to have a bit on the side and lie about it?
    I've been voting since 1988 and have always voted Lib/Dem in both local and general elections.
    I don't know how Charles Kennedy would manage on the world stage, but then again, why does he need to? We're not a Super-Power any more, haven't been for some time now. We trade on a centuries-old reputation which is now meaningless and is more of a liability than anything else.

I think we should be more like Scandinavia and keep ourselves to ourselves. Then maybe we wouldn't get tarred with the American brush (apologies to all you Yanks, you know I'm talking about yer politicians, not you personally).
    Could rant all night, so won't :)
  13. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Yep. In a recent survey of the best places to live, based on quality of life / cost of living compared to average income / healthcare standards etc

Switzerland, Norway, Netherlands and Iceland made up the top 4. 3 of these are not in the EU and therefore have true independent parliaments. I wonder........

Could there possibly be any sort of conclusions to be drawn from that?

It's also worth remembering that regardless of who you actually vote for, the government always seems to get in!
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  14. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if your talking about this survey from The Economist (see ) but the top 10 in that survey was

1 Ireland
    2 Switzerland
    3 Norway
    4 Luxembourg
    5 Sweden
    6 Australia
    7 Iceland
    8 Italy
    9 Denmark
    10 Spain

So 6 EU-countries in the top 10 (4 that use the Euro). The USA was in 13th, France 25th, Germany 26th and Britain 29th - the lowest of the pre-expansion EU nations.

You got to be kidding.

15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

As for Blunkett, I reckon his affair was an accident. Mrs Quinn was probably trying to protect herself by saying 'Blanket! Blanket, Where's that damn blanket??' And our Home Secretary thought she was whispering sweet nothings to him by mistake.....
  16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

17. ronnie_the_lizard

>>If it's alright for Blunkett to sleep around and fast-track nannies for his lover, why
    >>isn't it alright for Boris Johnson to have a bit on the side and lie about it?

I think this was a BIG mistake by the tories - I think that despite the fact that at times he comes across as a bungling upper class twit, Boris at least seems (1) human and (2) trustworthy (even if it is only because his lies are so transparent that no-one takes them seriously)
  18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Still, Crawford; it could have been worse. I was going to make a gag about Blair and Blunkett being a case of 'The bland leading the blind' but thought better of it... ;)
  19. Tuba Miriam

Tuba Miriam Member

The Blunkett - last Tory government sleaze episodes have an interesting parallel. At the time, the last Tory government kept hammering home their 'Back to Basics' campaign; never have I seen such a sustained period of political ineptitude. John Major kept saying it wasn't supposed to be a moral crusade but the consistent moralizing diatribe from Tory hacks contradicted this; that's why the Tories came unstuck with their particular sleaze war. They should have given up with 'Back to Basics' long before they did.

Plus, having had the likes of Alan Clark, Jeffery Archer and Jonathan Aitkin associated with them at a senior level the Tories have a reputation for sleaze that puts them in a league all of their own.

Of course, formerly the Robin Cooke affair, and now the Blunkett affair, take the sheen off New Labour's 'Family Values' ticket, making them look similarly hypocritical, but is there a difference? The real tragedy here is the paternity battle that will ensue. Ironically, it's Blunkett's perception of his paternalistic responsibilities that is driving him forward; affairs become inter-linked with Back to Basics and Family Values. Politicians of all colours will always risk falling foul of this if they attempt simplified moralizing.

If hypocrisy's the theme there's a noble history of it in Westminster; I'm surprised anyone is surprised. Simplistic party mantras aimed at naive voters is the greatest scourge in our politics.

And in addition to all that, we have brass band politics too! What a burdened community we are! ;)
  20. ronnie_the_lizard

>>And in addition to all that, we have brass band politics too! What a burdened
    >>community we are!

Aah but at least adultery and illicit affairs never happen in Brass Band circles........